Bigger tyres at the front and rear

getonyourbike
getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
edited December 2010 in MTB general
Well I'm thinking ahead and planning on getting some tyres in for spring and autumn and am looking at the Maxxis Advantage, 2.25 front and rear. I would do what a lot of other people do and have a smaller tyre at the back, a 2.1, but I'm concerned about the 2.1s not taking the sting out of the trail.

So really what I'm asking is, if I have 2.25s front and rear will I have the front sliding out a lot? I know the idea of having a smaller tyre at the back so it steps out first.

Comments

• omegas
    omegas Posts: 970

So really what I'm asking is, if I have 2.25s front and rear will I have the front sliding out a lot?

Weight distribution will give you maximum grip not the width of the tyre.
  • Most people use a thiner rear tyre to shave a bit of weight and more importantly get lower rolling resistance with minimum loss of grip - leaving the front tyre as a wider/grippier one means you maintain most of the cornering grip on many types of trail.

The trick is knowing what your riding on where. and picking suitable tyres I.e. if you ride Brechfa in south wales, keep the knarly tyres on in the wet - plenty of loose slatey trail makes for slippery times. Afan however down the road you can happliy get away with a fast rolling tyre on the back and leaving something a bit grippier up front to give confidence on the descents.

I'm sure th advantages will be fine, but ask yourself more what your riding on first, then decide what tyres best suit the bill.
  • You will also find that even with a smaller back tyre you may still have a larger rear contact patch as there is significantly more wieght on your rear wheel, unfortunately tyres are like saddles, and you will only learn what you like riding on by playing around with different sizes and importantly adjust the pressures and you will feel like you are riding on different tyres
    Specialized Langster
    Specialized Enduro Expert
    Specialized Rockhopper

This season I will be mainly riding a Specialized
  • I have tried a load of different combo's and have to agree with the above comments.

I have gone back to a nice fat sticky tyre on the front [Maxxis HR Super Tacky 2.35 /Spesh Pro Chunder 2.25 - more like a 2.5!] and a skinny hard XC tyre on the rear like the Spesh Pro Captain 2.0.

This gives me awe-enspiring grip, whilst also maintaining a very low rolling resistance... something you need on the trails unless you like wheezing like an OAP just to make progress.

The worst tyre I have every had on the rear that made me as slow as hell but also increased my fitness no end was the Maxxis Hi Roller Super Tacky 42a 2.35... they drag like hell!!!!!
  • christurbo
    christurbo Posts: 432
    edited December 2010
    dup'd
  • I think it'll be the advantages front and rear then