Aborted missions

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
I attempted to take the train into central London to go shopping but it seems the signals can't cope with ~10cm of snow so I was going to walk to a Northern Line tube station but I was told that was out of action too.
Not much point driving as the roads are buggered and where would I park? So I'm back home watching Star Trek Voyager and posting on here.

I toyed with the idea of going for a ride in the park but decided against it.

Anyone else have an aborted mission?
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    The Underground out of action cause of snow :?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I am starting to wonder about my trip on Wednesday.

will i be able to get into the UK!
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    [quote="nicklouse"will i be able to get into the UK![/quote]

Well, they didn't let me out!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • EKE_38BPM
    According to the newspapers this weather will last about a month, so I think the UK is closed until almost February.

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    That can't work. The UK would be broke in under a month! :shock:

Everyone man the shovels and get clearing/defrosting :lol::lol:
  • pianoleo
    pianoleo Posts: 135
    I was due to be trekking up to Barnet tonight (from Sydenham) on PT, to play piano for a Christmas gig. Concert got cancelled at 12, but I'm being paid anyway, so I've kicked back and spent the day cooking for the freezer :-)
  • EKE_38BPM
    I wonder if I'll be able to get down to Brixton this evening? Is the Northern Line working yet?

• Cafewanda
    I didn't think the Northern Line ever broke down :shock:

Oh, I forgot. You live in the outer reaches of the line. Tut, tut. 8)

Currently minor delays on the NL. You'll be fine. If you get stuck, shout.
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    If you get stuck, shout.

yeah, but will you be listening CW?! :lol:
  • Cafewanda
    Only til the end of my first glass of wine............. so EKE has about 2 hours til I hit the bottle, or rather, box of said wine.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I'm so jealous, our snow ran out last week, some due tonight and it's been sub zero since Thursday but I'd love a bit more.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • not aborted, but just had a great little ride around a golf course under 20 cm of snow; in the dark!
    "Orbea, Bianchi, Ridley, Van Nicholas, Planet X, Niner. My Euro-bike menagerie was going well up to the last 2..."
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'm so jealous, our snow ran out last week, some due tonight and it's been sub zero since Thursday but I'd love a bit more.

If you get the "light" snow we had today, you'll get your "bit more"!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Failed everything today, combination of heavy snow and full on pain interspersed with nausea, dizziness and light-headed oh and waves of tiredness.

Awesome :cry:

Great bruising too :(
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    cjcp wrote:

4" in the hour and a half it took me to go to Waitrose this morning. Fortunately I got there before all the panic buyers turned up but I still got to see everyone leaving using their throttle like is was an on / off switch. Oh, and having 4WD does not mean you can stop or steer better on snow and ice. Southerners fail at winter driving basics. Again.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Yesterday afternoon, I drove up to Cheapside to do a last bit of Xmas shopping before I drive off to Ireland tomorrow morning - roads were completely empty & free parking in the City on a Saturday/Sunday. I got there and back with no problem at all - bit of slush but nothing that would stop a normal car, let alone my 4wd - it was great :)

400 miles to Stranraer tomorrow morning should be a giggle, then another 100 miles to Donegal after the ferry. Taking the Gary Fisher (with o/road tyres :D ) for some fun in the snow. I don't expect to get held up or not get there, its only a bit of snow after all. I will take a shovel & a tow rope to move obstructions...
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Frozen handbrake at 7 am yesterday morning, daughter had to go on the bus and me on my hands and knees in the snow throwing beakers of hot water on the brake calipers...
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I tried to cycle to the gym on a mtb with slicks earlier, I aborted around my parents house half way there....

where i switched over to a full suss with massive nobblies, missiong back on :wink:
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    cjcp wrote:

Hmmm... a mild dusting, hardly worth it, it just makes the ice patches harder to spot.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.