Argentin Sticks the Boot in

Gazzetta67
Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
edited December 2010 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/argenti ... nd-the-uci

+ 1 I think he hits the nail on the head with today's racing and riders.

Comments

• The Lance Armstrong phenomena was bad for the sport of cycling, as was the influx of other North Americans. Along with the American riders came the American sponsors, like USPS and RadioShack, and this 'Americanization' of the sport has resulted in an over-focus on the Tour de France.

I doubt the people at RadioShack have ever heard of Liege-Bastogn-Liege.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Dunno, Contador looks like he rides every race to win - and he usually does. Much better than any GT rider of recent times IMHO.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Dunno, Contador looks like he rides every race to win - and he usually does. Much better than any GT rider of recent times IMHO.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    The Lance Armstrong phenomena was bad for the sport of cycling, as was the influx of other North Americans. Along with the American riders came the American sponsors, like USPS and RadioShack, and this 'Americanization' of the sport has resulted in an over-focus on the Tour de France.

I doubt the people at RadioShack have ever heard of Liege-Bastogn-Liege.

Would that be the same RadioShack who had Horner finish in 8th in LBL alongside both Schlecks, Evans and Bertie?

I agree that there is an over emphasis on the Tour, but to lay that on the doorstep of "North Americans" is a little disingenuous. If you read Wheatcrofts "Le Tour", you'll see that several of the practices supposedly introduced by the Americans (and LA / USPS in particular) - exclusive focus on the Tour, use of team riders to set an infernal pace into the climbs to prevent attacks, low gearing / high cadence - have been around for many decades, having been introduced by riders from the traditional cycling nations.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'