Pannier Bag - recommendation request

richk
richk Posts: 564
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Having bought a new commuter, I'm looking for a recommendation on a pannier bag

I've sat down & decided what criteria

It's for commuting - so needs to carry lunch, clothes & a few spares/tools (no laptop though). So doesn't need to be huge.
Want a single bag only. (Have a Lidl cheapie if I ever needed a second for a one off). Needs to be easy to attach detach (sometimes in very poor light).
Want some water resistance.

Prefer a couple of pockets to keep items seperate (eg tubes, tools seperate from lunch/clothes seperate from phone/watch/cards etc)
If it had some sort of light fixing (just a simple loop would probably do) would be a bonus. Colour etc probably immaterial but... it's on a grey/silver bike which is used after dark.

Spend - not a huge amount say £35 give or take a bit for the right item. Lezyne Rack Caddy pannier has caught my eye so far http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-rack-caddy-pannier-single/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=products

Anybody got any suggestions. TIA.
There is no secret ingredient...

Comments

• I've had years of care free service from my Altura Drylines. I use them every workday as I don't own a car. Plenty of little pockets inside for bits and pieces, decent prices.
    We need a bigger boat.

Giant OCR 4
    Trek Madone 5.2
    Ridgeback Speed (FCN 15)
  • Buy Ortlieb and be done with it.

The best bags, best quality easy fitting, totally waterproof. they'll work out a little bit more than another brand, but you'll not once regret buying them. Years of happy use await.

Or so I'm told. Having just gone through the same process of wanting to get panniers for the first time, the resound conclusion from nearly everyone i've spoken too. Buy Ortlieb.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    +1 to Altura Dry-line.

Here is my review of the full combo set: rack top + pannier bags:

http://wokingham-cyclist.blogspot.com/2 ... -rear.html
  • pianoleo
    pianoleo Posts: 135
    For cheap and cheerful, my housemate is perfectly happy with her Altura Dryline.

I swear by Vaude myself. Same price as the Ortliebs but I prefer them - they feel (even!) tougher. I have a pair of Vaude Aqua Back Plus, but obviously they're massive, pricey, and therefore probably wouldn't suit your requirements.

So, yeah, the Altura Drylines are fine. Just not *as* waterproof, *as* secure to fit or *as* well covered warranty wise.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    pianoleo wrote:
    For cheap and cheerful, my housemate is perfectly happy with her Altura Dryline.

I swear by Vaude myself. Same price as the Ortliebs but I prefer them - they feel (even!) tougher. I have a pair of Vaude Aqua Back Plus, but obviously they're massive, pricey, and therefore probably wouldn't suit your requirements.

So, yeah, the Altura Drylines are fine. Just not *as* waterproof, *as* secure to fit or *as* well covered warranty wise.

+1 for Vaude. They're even better than Ortlieb panniers. The Aqua range are so well made and will last forever. Totally waterproof expedition pannier. You could get Vaude Front Aqua panniers which are smaller than the rears, but still a very handy size. About £65-70 a pair for the fronts.

Altura are also good panniers. I'm sure the Dryline range would be fine for the OP's needs. The Altura Arans are also good although require a waterproof cover for when it is really p-ing it down.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I plumped for a saddle bag instead of panniers as I don't have too much to take to work either.

http://www.carradice.co.uk/products/type/sqrslim
    http://www.carradice.co.uk/products/type/sqrtour

The Lezyne you linked to has 19L storage, the Carradices have 16L, so fairly similar size.

Been very impressed. About £60 though.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Try Carradice - really nice pannier bags, decent prices and made in UK so helping us get out of the recession.

I'm entirely happy with these:

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s74p37

A little over price but you could probably sell the one you don't need and come close to your budget. They do have pockets and light loops.

Edit - missed dhopes post above so plus one on that! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    emerywd wrote:
    Buy Ortlieb and be done with it.

The best bags, best quality easy fitting, totally waterproof. they'll work out a little bit more than another brand, but you'll not once regret buying them. Years of happy use await.

Or so I'm told. Having just gone through the same process of wanting to get panniers for the first time, the resound conclusion from nearly everyone i've spoken too. Buy Ortlieb.

+1

I got some earlier in the year they are great and have two pockets in them one of which is zipped and they come of with a pull of the handle.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Lancslad wrote:
    I got some earlier in the year they are great and have two pockets in them one of which is zipped and they come of with a pull of the handle.

You should be ashamed - Carradice are made only just up the road from you and you call yourself Lancslad; where's your pride :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    +1 to Vaude Aqua

They have a really useful pocket on the outside of the main bag unlike Ortleibs. Whilst above the price you asked for there are sometimes German sellers on eBay that sell them for less than the UK price
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Apart from the fact that they only come in pairs (and are therefore well above the target price), I'd have to put in another vote for Ortlieb. I've been using mine now for a couple of years, with no sign of wear. They're completely waterproof, built like a tank, and have been used in all weathers. Also very easy to fix to and remove from the bike.