Tips for first road race

Max09
Max09 Posts: 27
edited December 2010 in Amateur race
Hello everyone

Im a first year junior in 2011 and I was hoping to try out a race at hillingdon soon.
What are the average speeds in a typical 4th Cat race there??
I have never ridden at hillingdon before but I have done alot of club runs and attend palmer park velodrome weekly including a few track league races so my group riding skills should be ok.
Also, is it better to enter online or on the day??
Thanks
From Max

Comments

• Hi,
    I did my first race at Hillingdon last weekend, I assume you're looking at one of the Imperial Winter Series Races?

I didn't have a cycle computer on but I'd guess the avg speed was around the mid 20's mph but it's a lot of speeding up/slowing down so average is probably a bit misleading. I'm not sure if it's typical but it seemed the pace was quite high for the first few laps which caused a couple of people to get dropped early on, then it settled down for a bit with just a few accelerations to pick up breaks whilst the pace really picking up for the last three laps when everyone got excited about the sprint.

I put off entering one for ages as I though the pace was going to be much tougher but as long as you're happy riding in a bunch just give one a try and see how you get on. After doing my first one I think that doing well has got a lot to do with experience, positioning, tactics, etc rather than just fitness. I finished just outside the top ten but I think with better positioning on the last few laps I should have a chance to pick up some points.

If you know you're definitely riding it's cheaper and you avoid the queues if you enter in advance.
  • yer defo join in advance so your training is for nothing plus you have the extra motivation to work towards also. do intervals my last race was 38kph average ( depends on the course and cat) plenty of gels remember to eat them as well unlike me who has to be a sheep and only remember when someone else eats and i see them lol
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Some great tips on riding safely in the bunch here:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12741831
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Top tip for racing: stay near the front (front 10-15 riders). At all times. No excuses.
  • Max09
    Max09 Posts: 27
    Ok thanks, and yeah it probably will be the imperial winter series.
  • Lion-O
    Lion-O Posts: 48
    i agree stay near the front and out of trouble. for a 1 hr race you wont need gels if you have an energy drink.

get a good warm up as the races at hillingdon start fast so be prepared.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    Unless you are particularly talented you willn't have race legs and findiing out in the event after travelling and spending money is a waste of time.
    I have done and enjoyed a lot of circuit racing and to get rid of riders I would accelerate out of corners. A bunch of you would work at this until either cracks or a break appeared. Then it was a case of maintaining speed. So, your training should reflect this. Hanging around the back of a large group can be hard because riders leave gaps and if you think that you should be with the main group then you have to work to get back on again.
    In a race you will either be up against high lactic levels or high heart rates so your training should reflect this. Think about what I have said and come back with some questions.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.