Carrera Virtuoso Bottom Bracket?

cheddarpaul
cheddarpaul Posts: 126
edited December 2010 in Workshop
Hey, got a good deal on one of these as my winter bike but the BB is loose.

I think it's a Shimano UN54 sealed cartridge but not sure of the size. I have tried asking Halfords but still waiting for their response.............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Has anyone replaced their Virtuoso BB and if so, what model was it and how easy/difficult was it?
Thanks
Boardman Team Comp
Boardman CX Team
Boardman Full Suss Pro
Brick Lane fixie
Genesis Day One

Comments

• ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    Have you removed the BB from the frame?

Width is measured externally across the BB tapers. Diameter across the ID of the frame BB shell.

It will probably state the dimensions on the BB too. Mine does.
  • You give your bike to Halfords to play with a Shimano UN54 bb? That is like me calling out a mechanic to empty my vacum cleaner.

The tool to remove a UN54 is widely available - Halfords even stock them. And they also stock the tool needed to remove the cranks. Bottom brackets have markings on them to make replacemnt easier, but it maybe just needed tightening up.
  • No, no, no of course I wouldnt give Halfrauds a bike to replace or tighten up the bottom bracket, that would be just madness!

Will look for the tools needed and do it myself just needed to know what the bracket is
    Boardman Team Comp
    Boardman CX Team
    Boardman Full Suss Pro
    Brick Lane fixie
    Genesis Day One
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Assuming a double not triple chainset then prett likely it would be 68x113 which seems to be common size but to know for sure either Halfords need to tell you (have you tried going into a store and asking - something they should know) else you need to get the old one out and measure / check for size marked on it.