Potholes

Philcho
Philcho Posts: 57
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Yes they're back...atleast where i live up north anyway. I'm not sure how badly affected the roads in london were but come Jan/Feb i think my route will feel more like a farm track than tarmac, although i do make the most of those dreamy newly resurfaced stretches...if only they were all that smooth :(

Comments

• CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    the roads have never really recovered from last year's freeze have they? agree that come jan/feb they could be in a shocking state of repair

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • Up my way, they have been excellent at fixing them from the spring - completely resurfacing some sections. I'm on the MTB for now so I worry about them less
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    There's a couple on my commute I have to remember are there well in advance so I can avoid them as I'd need a ladder to get out should I accidentally ride into any of them.
    Hat + Beard
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The one bad stretch on my commute was totally dug up and relaid over the summer, nothing new yet.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • hatbeard wrote:
    There's a couple on my commute I have to remember are there well in advance so I can avoid them as I'd need a ladder to get out should I accidentally ride into any of them.

hmmm. I know the ones you mean :roll:
    at least the bit on deptford church st has had a small patch job done
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I lost a car wheel on last years holes
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    hatbeard wrote:

hmmm. I know the ones you mean :roll:

there's still a bloody great big one as you turn onto it (homeward bound) in the middle of the bus lane. hit it the first day on my new tyres at speed and was expecting to have to push the bike home but luckily it survived.
    Hat + Beard
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237

i fear its all the "patch jobs" that will be first to open up

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • CXXC wrote:

i fear its all the "patch jobs" that will be first to open up

Thats what's happened up here, not much in the way of complete road resurfacing however a main road near me was resurfaced and that's already started breaking up at the edges!

Can see some claims coming in when people knacker their wheels going down some of 'em.
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    I wouldn't expect any quick repairs next year following the amount of council cut backs. Two major departments that were hit were Highway maintainance and Road safety. Its not looking good folks. :cry:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I've lost count of the damage and discomfort caused by potholes, one of the cyclists in my village was killed earlier this year avoiding a large section of crumbled road and taken out by a speeding lorry.

London's not much better really.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.