17 miles, in two minutes.

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Picked up a GoPro earlier in the week, mainly for MTB duty but had to play!

I'd add this to the helmet camera warrior thread but nobody (I don't think) tried to kill me on my two days filming:

http://www.vimeo.com/17864192

Video sections are 2x :wink:

Comments

• Mooose
    Mooose Posts: 47
    average speed about 510mph and instantaneous accelleration / braking. impressive.

If there were a way to blur the edges a bit for the 'hi-speed' effect...
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Love the high speed filtering, although I was wincing while watching it!
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    So what was the rush?
  • Holy cats!

That's proved one thing to me - just how bloody fantastic my commute is. On Monday evening I did the last 7 miles without seeing another soul (I don't think sheep and cows are meant to have souls are they?). On Monday morning, the Beauly Firth was completely still and the sun was rising - I'd wish I'd had a camera.

Kudos to you guys that commute in that lot. I must try to do something similar so you can see my 15 miles - an unbelievably stark contrast.

And what I don't understand is that companies (and Police/schools/hospitals) have trouble recruiting people to come to Inverness...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • iPete
    Should point out the filtering was at x2 :twisted: but its still a rush!

meanredspider I'd love a clean run, would save me about 20 minutes each way! My office is also moving 3 miles deeper into London with far worse traffic! :cry:
    ndru wrote:
    So what was the rush?

Overslept probably, like most days :lol:
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    Pause at 1:46. Is that a lit indicator on the green vehicle?
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    iPete wrote:
    Should point out the filtering was at x2 :twisted: but its still a rush!

I knew that, but I still couldn't help wincing! ;)
  • iPete
    zanes wrote:

The HGV? Yes it was turning right, its also super flashy because of the video speed up...
  • By far the best commuting video I've seen, ever! :D

But.....

Did you not see ALL THE PEOPLE TRYING TO KILL YOU?

There were literally hundreds.

:P
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    iPete wrote:
    zanes wrote:

The HGV? Yes it was turning right, its also super flashy because of the video speed up...

Ah, I see that from earlier on in the clip. The one I meant must be his running light or whatever they're called on HGVs.
  • Is the GoPro stem mounted, Pete? I prefer this set-up to mounting the cam on the handlebars. I use some bar tape on the stem to minimise road vibrations. 720 at 60/50fps also helps with the jello-effect, but the downside is that the video quality is a little worse in low light conditions.

The chesty mount (ooh err) is v good for off-road stuff (once you've faffed around for a while), but a bit pricey.
  • Holy cats!

That's proved one thing to me - just how bloody fantastic my commute is. On Monday evening I did the last 7 miles without seeing another soul (I don't think sheep and cows are meant to have souls are they?). On Monday morning, the Beauly Firth was completely still and the sun was rising - I'd wish I'd had a camera.

Kudos to you guys that commute in that lot. I must try to do something similar so you can see my 15 miles - an unbelievably stark contrast.

And what I don't understand is that companies (and Police/schools/hospitals) have trouble recruiting people to come to Inverness...

The big positive for me on commutes like this is that smug feeling of being faster than the cars. The route shown used to be some of my commute but I am now mostly on rural roads and the smug feeling is what I miss most about my old commute.
  • RLJ 17s in? :lol:
  • iPete
    By far the best commuting video I've seen, ever! :D

But.....

Did you not see ALL THE PEOPLE TRYING TO KILL YOU?

There were literally hundreds.

:P

Thanks, waaaay to many boring 'ooh that bus went near me videos' on youtube!

Think my tolerance of what counts as a near miss might be quite high :lol:
    Origamist wrote:
    Is the GoPro stem mounted, Pete? I prefer this set-up to mounting the cam on the handlebars. I use some bar tape on the stem to minimise road vibrations. 720 at 60/50fps also helps with the jello-effect, but the downside is that the video quality is a little worse in low light conditions.

The chesty mount (ooh err) is v good for off-road stuff (once you've faffed around for a while), but a bit pricey.

Stem mounted! Still learning, thanks for the tips, have been looking at the other mounts, especially the (ooh err) chest one, imagine they are lot smoother than on the bike?
    RLJ 17s in? :lol:

I slowed and pre-empted the yellow :wink:
  • the smug feeling is what I miss most about my old commute.

I get a "hit" of smugness crossing the Kessock bridge. There's typically a mile of dual queueing traffic and I'm heading downhill at this point - 25-30mph+ with little effort.

Great.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    That's class. Plenty of overtaking too, good show.

Really surprised at the number of HGVs on your route, I doesn't seem like there's that many one mine. I suppose I only usually see my commute at normal speed.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    That's pretty cool actually.
    I agree with meanredspider though, 90% of my commute is like this (not that I've done in for ages seeing as I just don't trust drivers in the early morning darkness/snow/fog etc at 60+mph):
    HHRoad.jpg

There is a nice mile of overtaking stationary traffic once I get into town though :D
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • You pressured me into doing the same for my 12 mile commute, but i'll do it during the day as it's kind of boring cycling along pitch black country lanes at 6:30 in the morning.

All you see is the pool of road directlly in front of me for a good 50% of the ride :roll:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • bails87 wrote:
    90% of my commute is like this

Ooh - you've got white lines and everything 8) My roads are half that width with passing spots. In the first 7 miles I only have to worry about:

The nice old lady that drives the school minibus
    The chap in the crew-cab who lives at the top of the hill
    Occasionally the Forestry Commission guy and, if I leave early, the guy with the Alfa 147 walking his huskies
    And, on Wednesdays and Thursdays, the bin men... :D

The second half of my journey is less busy than that - apart from the two roads I have to cross in "the big city" :lol: :roll: :wink:
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Video on double speed? :? does that mean that you did it in 4 not two minutes :? or am i missing something :?
  • iPete
    plowmar wrote:
    Video on double speed? :? does that mean that you did it in 4 not two minutes :? or am i missing something :?

5 second time lapse throughout and the video segments have been made x2....
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Vids blocked at work :(

Did you get the GoPro from Harrods in the end? Think they were a bit crap with the £100 off voucher and a few people just got their orders cancelled.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • iPete
    edited December 2010
    dhope wrote:
    Vids blocked at work :(

Did you get the GoPro from Harrods in the end? Think they were a bit crap with the £100 off voucher and a few people just got their orders cancelled.

Yup, Harrods not only told me they had no stock but set off my cards anti fraud block! :lol:

Ended up back at wiggle but still at a great price! They even sent me a voucher after it went down in price the day after I ordered!
  • Good skills, i enjoyed that.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    nice edit, GoPro's rock

Here's my commute in a speeded up stylie but i might have a go at doing one the way you have too

winter commute

FCN = 4
  • iPete
    you ceartainly win on number of traffic lights!

Edit: loving the other videos, going to give 'crotch cam' a go!
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    thanks iPete. Crotch cam is a love/hate thing. I think it really connects you with the rider but can understand why people don't like it.

Give it a go and post the video on here.
    FCN = 4