Man flu

Jay dubbleU
Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Yes - its that time of year again. last night went out to the bikeshed after work to discover I'd had a visit from the PF - if I ever catch her I'll pull her wings off and see how she likes walking home in the rain

This morning I have man flu - thank you so much O mythical and outdated belief on a crutch

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    :(
    Hope you pull through. You have a good woman to mop your brow and make you cups of tea right? It can be crucial to the recovery process.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    I had the one worse thing than man-flu yesterday, I was suffering from the hangover of shame.

I imbibed much too freely at the xmas party which turned into an epic journey to the ends of the earth trying to get home, made it back to greenwich after an hours walk, a £10 cab ride and a night bus from trafalgar square, the party was only in mornington crescent.

slept through my alarm, was awoken by someone from the office calling at 11am to make sure I hadn't died on way home, fell back asleep for an hour, woke up, puked up most of my kebab, finally decided I wouldn't make it in to office at all that day and sat on the sofa worrying what was being said about me in the office.

Given how 'visible' I was at the party (i wore my viking hat most of the evening and was dancing like a loon) my absence yesterday was quite conspicuous.

now have a year of being the lightweight of the office until I can redeem myself at the next party.

the one downside to losing weight is how it's knocked my ability to handle my booze these days.still I think I probably put away at least 5 pints and in the region of 16 to 20 bottles of beer. :shock:
    Hat + Beard
  • hatbeard wrote:

the one downside to losing weight is how it's knocked my ability to handle my booze these days.still I think I probably put away at least 5 pints and in the region of 16 to 20 bottles of beer. :shock:

two shandys and a babycham in reality then :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Jay dubbleU
    Mrs JW has been feeding me honey and lemon but alas I had to repair my own puncture last night in spite of being forced to sit down and drink hot toddies when I felt dizzy - actually I think the dizzy spells got worse the more toddie I consumed but I'm sure it was flu and not whiskey.

Ah the office party - destroyer of reputations and source of gossip for the next 12 months
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    hatbeard wrote:

two shandys and a babycham in reality then :wink:

haha, I actually wish it had been but the pints are a known quantity as they were in the pub before the party, the bottles are an unknown but I started off when we got to the club with 4 then it was 2 at a time from 10pm until 2pm and I remember going to the bar myself at least 3 times and asking at least 4 people to get me drinks whilst they were getting served as well.

oh and there was shots too *boik*

I've always been able to put away a lot of booze, its just how badly it affects me these days.
    Hat + Beard
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    hatbeard wrote:
    I think I probably put away at least 5 pints

I was going to call you a lightweight..
    hatbeard wrote:
    and in the region of 16 to 20 bottles of beer

Then I read that bit :shock:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'm recovering from a bout of Man flu, managed to WFH on Tuesday after struggling to a client meeting on Monday, but had to be in yesterday. Annoyingly ended up covering for 7 other colleagues (just 2 of us in the office) while I worked to meet 3 sodding deadlines whilst necking day nurse. Grrr. Today it's our office party, so half day and then day off tomorrow than f*ck. Been on PT all week as well, so NOT AMUSED.

I'm striking this morning, buying xmas pressies online rather than working.
  • Bleurgh. I have bird flu. Temperature's finally below 101 today... highest achieved was 102.7 on tuesday.

I've been barred from the office apart from popping in tomorrow to receive my xmas present from the company. It's bound to be something I really don't want. Sigh.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Bleurgh. I have bird flu. Temperature's finally below 101 today... highest achieved was 102.7 on tuesday.

I've been barred from the office apart from popping in tomorrow to receive my xmas present from the company. It's bound to be something I really don't want. Sigh.

Mrs A is confined to bed this morning with flu as well. Bummer is that tonight is her company Xmas party which she has organised, and I've got a brand new suit sitting here that's probably going to go unworn.

I was looking forward to dressing up for a change.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Jay dubbleU
    Bleurgh. I have bird flu. Temperature's finally below 101 today... highest achieved was 102.7 on tuesday.

Call me a pedant but I think what you have is burd flu :wink:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553

Call me a pedant but I think what you have is burd flu :wink:

lemon curd flu?
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    hatbeard wrote:

+1
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    My last day at work for the year tomorrow - technically today I guess - and I've not even been close to calling in sick since taking a couple of days off last September. Not sure how this has happened considering there's been times when it seems everyone else in the studio has been ill. Have a suspicion that hardly ever being on public transport helps.

It's either that or alcohol. Cheers!
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Having said that, if LiT to the Il-P are afflicted then we can definitely rule out alcohol as a preventative measure.

Very scientific approach I've got going on here.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I was beginning to think it was the alcohol plus cycling that had kept me healthy thus far. Might be a wise move to lay in burd flu supplies just in case.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Fraid I've managed to miss any bouts of man-flu/flu this year 8)

Cycling has done wonders for me health, bar the few minor headcolds I've had due to cycling in the rain 'n snow.

What you need is a few pints of beer and a chilli chicken kebab..mmmm :twisted: