Hanging bikes and on the drops

zpin
zpin Posts: 14
edited December 2010 in Amateur race
Hi all,
I am just starting to get into road racing, and i was looking for a few tips.
Firstly, is it better to ride on the drops, or on the hoods? Some say they barely go on the drops, while others barely on the hoods. is it just a case of comfort? and streamlining?
Also, i am riding a Terry Dolan (model unknown) given to me by a very generous cousin, who always hung it up. Should i do the same?? Does it make any difference whatsoever??
Many Thanks...

Comments

• he probably hung it up as that was the easiest way for him to store it, and i spend most of the time on the hoods or on the tops of my bars, only use drops for sprinting and cornering fast
  • c0ugars
    c0ugars Posts: 202
    Hanging is just another way of storing the bike, it doesn’t make a difference. i tend to ride on the drops most of the time but everyone is different just do what feels good for you.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Drops for descending, sprinting, riding into the wind (though if the front of the bike is low you may be OK on the hoods/tops for the last one). For everything else whatever is most comfortable.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Drops for descending, sprinting, riding into the wind (though if the front of the bike is low you may be OK on the hoods/tops for the last one). For everything else whatever is most comfortable.

+1

Sprinting on the hoods should be a hanging offence.
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    It's important to feel comfortable in both the drops and the hoods as you'll use them both for various things. Drops are lower and offer better handling on descents, corners, sprints. Also will brake better in that position. Hoods are often more comfortable for general riding.

If you don't like the feel of one or the other, don't be afraid to experiment with different types of bars (compact, ergo, etc.) and different positions for your STI levers and bar angle. Bottom line is you don't want to have to be sprinting on the hoods or spending all day in the drops because the respective other position is too awkward or uncomfortable.
  • zpin
    zpin Posts: 14
    okay, thanks a lot guys :)
  • Kirky
    Kirky Posts: 459
    If you're road racing, and new to it, you should really use the drops (for the faster sections or where more control is needed) and the hoods the rest of the time. I'd avoid using the tops unless you're climbing, as riding on the hoods means you're also covering the brakes should you need them suddenly.

Would also say this applies in sportives and group riding as well.

KIRKY
    Las Vegas Institute of Sport
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you hand a bike up by the front wheel, don't leave anything heavy like a seatpack attached, or you'll find it'll stretch :wink:
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • my personal favourite hanging position is with the stem spun to the side, nds pedal off and then hang the bike from a picture rail! Looks ace and uses very little space which is important when you've got a lot of bikes to store 8)
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    When racing I'm usually on the hoods - because it gives ME better access to the brakes and gears. I can't work the levers very well on the drops.

Riding on my own I use a mix of the two - but most of the time on the hoods. I find it more comfy. You'll find your own preference.

Enjoy the bike!
  • maryka
    Pokerface wrote:
    When racing I'm usually on the hoods - because it gives ME better access to the brakes and gears. I can't work the levers very well on the drops.
    This is what I was alluding to above -- imo if you can't work the levers very well, you should adjust your set-up (swap out to different bars, change angle of bars, move levers up or down the bars) so that you can use the drops more comfortably and shift/brake as well as you can from anywhere else. Braking power is much better in the drops. You shouldn't just accept that you cant work the levers and therefore not ever be in the drops. You wouldn't say the same about a saddle that was uncomfortable, shoe cleat position that felt wrong, etc. right? So why with levers and bars?

I say this as someone whose first road bike was a secondhand job with bars that in no way worked for me, my hands could barely reach the levers when in the drops and I couldn't begin to get comfortable in that position. It literally never occurred to me to find out why and fix it, I just assumed it was what it was. Wasn't til I got my next bike, brand new and built up to spec, that I realised I had a choice of bars and position! It was a revelation at the time.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    maryka wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    This is what I was alluding to above -- imo if you can't work the levers very well, you should adjust your set-up (swap out to different bars, change angle of bars, move levers up or down the bars) so that you can use the drops more comfortably and shift/brake as well as you can from anywhere else. Braking power is much better in the drops. You shouldn't just accept that you cant work the levers and therefore not ever be in the drops. You wouldn't say the same about a saddle that was uncomfortable, shoe cleat position that felt wrong, etc. right? So why with levers and bars?

I say this as someone whose first road bike was a secondhand job with bars that in no way worked for me, my hands could barely reach the levers when in the drops and I couldn't begin to get comfortable in that position. It literally never occurred to me to find out why and fix it, I just assumed it was what it was. Wasn't til I got my next bike, brand new and built up to spec, that I realised I had a choice of bars and position! It was a revelation at the time.

Sorry - but when *I'm* racing, the last thing I need is MORE braking power. I get more than enough off the hoods - and when riding along in a group, braking suddenly is a great way to cause a crash.

Plus I can pull just as hard on the brakes from the hoods as I can from the hoods.

It's shifting gears that I find easier from the hoods - particularly pulling the lever one particular way. No amount of adjustment is going to make that more comfortable for me - and it certainly isn't hurting my riding by sticking with the hoods.
  • maryka
    Pokerface wrote:
    maryka wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Sorry - but when *I'm* racing, the last thing I need is MORE braking power. I get more than enough off the hoods - and when riding along in a group, braking suddenly is a great way to cause a crash.

Plus I can pull just as hard on the brakes from the hoods as I can from the hoods.

It's shifting gears that I find easier from the hoods - particularly pulling the lever one particular way. No amount of adjustment is going to make that more comfortable for me - and it certainly isn't hurting my riding by sticking with the hoods.

Just some friendly advice, don't get all upset! Suit yourself, but I still fail to see why anyone would settle for not having full use of all functions of the bike in both hand positions.
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    You can hang a bike by hooking the front of the seat over a hook. Keeps the bike horizontal!
    - though might not work if the front of your bike is super-light weight