Edge 705 owners

redvee
redvee Posts: 11,922
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Who has taken the plunge and upped their firmware to 3.3? Saw the new firmware notice tonight when upoloading todays struggle.
I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Holding off after the 3.2 disaster. Will give it a few weeks.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Likewise, somebody else can play guinea pig.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Yep have upgraded and so far so good.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Anyone got a Edge 605? What's it like? How expensive are the maps?

I was given one for Xmas but traded it for a SatMap but it never got returned, so sitting in a cupboard but the SatMap is a bit heavy for a road bike LOL
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    hmmm.. to take the plunge or not.
    I think i'll browse the garmin forums on the weekend and see if anyone is having issues.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Pufftmw wrote:
    Anyone got a Edge 605? What's it like? How expensive are the maps?

The maps can be free. Wifey is getting me a 705 for Xmas but I thought I'd try the opensource maps before shelling out £50 of her hard earned money for City Maps.

I have already downloaded the full 3.2G Europe map from Velo Maps so I'll pop this on the SD card on Xmas day and give it a whirl.

I'd be interested in any more feedback on software updates as that will obviously be my first decision when I open the box. I believe I will need at least v. 2.9 to give SDHC card compatibility for the 4g card I have also coming.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Go 3.1 first. 3.2 was a nightmare and was withdrawn. 3.3 should be fine !

I don't think I'll ever bother with the 800, check the Garmin Forum, a number of cracked screens and they don't recon it's that easy to read.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    fossyant wrote:
    Go 3.1 first. 3.2 was a nightmare and was withdrawn. 3.3 should be fine !

I don't think I'll ever bother with the 800, check the Garmin Forum, a number of cracked screens and they don't recon it's that easy to read.

+1. 3.1 is very stable, I've had no bother. 3.2 was fine for a while on mine, but then it decided to muck up the recording of the fourth day of Pedal to Paris (it got the mileage & overall time right, but the track stops well outside the city & apparently riding time was 15 minutes...a Veyron couldn't have gone that quick!), and a couple of rides after that had no track at all, though timings & distance were correct. 3.3...I'll wait and see.

800 didn't seem worth an upgrade to me, but if there are problems even more so!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011