What Cassette do you run on your DH bike

peter413
peter413 Posts: 5,120
edited December 2010 in MTB general
Just trying to work out what to run on the 224 so what ratio so you run and why.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it varies on the trail. any and all of the above.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i just have a standard 11-32.

if i raced or did it competitively, i might change it up depending on various things....but i do it for fun....so it doesn't matter to me about getting an exact ratio. good enough is good enough
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    11-28, biggest range I can use safely with my X9 supershort cage, if I'd done more research o I might had got a mid cage, but that's not important.

I don't race and being 16st I rarely need more speed so I banged the biggest on I could to make it easier to move about off-track and around Morzine, Whistler etc.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    P-Jay wrote:
    11-28, biggest range I can use safely with my X9 supershort cage, if I'd done more research o I might had got a mid cage, but that's not important.

I don't race and being 16st I rarely need more speed so I banged the biggest on I could to make it easier to move about off-track and around Morzine, Whistler etc.

you can go bigger on a sram short cage rear mech. 34T
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    nicklouse wrote:
    P-Jay wrote:

you can go bigger on a sram short cage rear mech. 34T

I tried a 34 and the cage fouled the cassett if I had too pedal bob on in 1st, which is always gonna happen if you're trying to pedal back from Robbo's half pissed.

TBH i've had no end of cage/chain/casset size/length issues with my Shocker since I bought it, so I'm to leave it 'as is' for now rather than seeking perfection.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    For you Pete, probably best with a wide ratio since you'll be wanting one bike to do loads of stuff without changing parts too often, no? Closer ratios will be better as long as they're the right closer ratios.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    I think I'm going to get an 11-28, decent range but not to wide a ratio. I'll be running it with a 38t ring so plenty of pedal power :D

Why would I need a 224 to do everything, thats what the 456 is for :wink:
  • ive got a tiagra 13 - 25 and it works ace downhill, getting a larger chainring cause whilst on road i run out of gears :D
  • Northwind
    peter413 wrote:

Everything downhilly you goon :lol: Since some trails want higher gearing than others.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    Northwind wrote:
    peter413 wrote:

Everything downhilly you goon :lol: Since some trails want higher gearing than others.

So....

I'm really not understanding you, no matter what cassette I would have got it would be an 11t small cog so I could spin at the same speed no matter what the cassette ratio is

Unless you mean the other way around in which case, I'll just get stronger :wink::lol:
  • Northwind
    Well you do need to get stronger! But what you're missing is that if you go lower on the cassette you can go higher on the front and balance it off if you choose.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    I already got the 38t ring, I fitted it today :wink:
  • Northwind
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, I know that but this lot don't.

Also, assuming you take the skip down the red at nevis rather than the 456, I'm going to enjoy watching you do the climb with these gears :lol: Unless you learn to leap up it like Cathro.

11-28 or 11-32 makes sense to me. I think tbh you're going to be initially pretty overgeared with a 38.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    That's easy to do, hop off and run :lol: