Christmas Gift suggestions

CiB
CiB Posts: 6,098
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Ok. We've had stocking fillers etc. Need ideas for a decent pressie for a bloke in his late 40s [so just approaching his physical, emotional & sexual peak then :wink:] for let's say about £150 give or take a bit, ideally not cycling-related but then again..., and something that a chap who already has enough gadgets & boys toys might appreciate. Keep it clean eh?

Case of nice wine sounds tempting for a kick-off.

Let the ideas commence...

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    I'm planning to buy my dad (a bit older) a decent whisky. If he ever picks up the damn phone and tells me which one he wants...
  • global knife, awesome cheese and a bottle of port - easily 150 quids worth
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Does said bloke have any hobbies/interests?
  • CiB
    Golf, strangling animals...* the usual for round here.

Wine. Cycling. Squash. Books. Wine. Slumping on the settee. Blokes gadgets & toys. Driving. Being in the garage. R4. Stuff that blokes of this age with a growing family are into when not doing the family bit.

* yes it's that old Python sketch again.
  • CiB
    Ferrari, last year...
    :)
  • Rats! Could you buy a fairly OTT squash bat or golfing accessory for £150-ish?

EDIT: I'm sure you can get very OTT versions of those things to fix the holes when you decide to accompany your ball with a chunk of turf...

A favourite stocking filler for golfing types is a pack of balls with one of those weighted ones in it. Funny.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Er...how well... er.... close to this block are you then?*

*Yes this will help me with my answer....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • The best present I have had in the last 12 months was a plastic beer mug. It is doubled skinned, with a fluid between the skins. Freeze it and your beer is icy cold, and stays that way to the bottom of the mug. Genius. Plenty of change from £150, or buy 10 and expropriate an entire drawer of the freezer.

OTOH, if your requirements are a little more - ahem - rarefied, then on the footing that this should be an indulgence, I'd skip the idea of a case for £150 (£12.50 a bottle ain't my idea of being indulged). What about £75 on a single bottle of good red Bordeaux; and the rest on a single bottle of Sauternes?

Otherwise, a stash of new pron? An adrenaline injection kit for when you go into cardiac arrest playing squash? Downpayment on some coke and a hooker?

The list is endless. Unless you'll be opening it in front of the kids, of course.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    No real suggestions but this thread did prompt an amusing few minutes of browsing around http://www.thinkgeek.com/

You said no gadgets or I would have said Kindle...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Climbing? Couple of days over a weekend learning a bit of bouldering is good fun.

I did this one a few years ago.
    http://www.mileendwall.org.uk/public/course/4

I'm still lousy of course but it was entertaining and God did I ache after.

Edit - hrm, late 40s - too old to try climbing? Nah
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:
    Climbing? Couple of days over a weekend learning a bit of bouldering is good fun.

you know there's a climbing wall down towards Woolwich...if you ever fancy trying it again. it's called The Reach
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    dhope wrote:

you know there's a climbing wall down towards Woolwich...if you ever fancy trying it again. it's called The Reach

Yep, planning on it. Been to Mile End a few times and the Castle in Manor House a few. All very good fun
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Nifer
    Nifer Posts: 102
    I like the cheese option but I'd add a Henckel knife instead of a global. Marvellous! Last year I bought my dad a "hotel room in a box" from John Lewis - it's basically a voucher in the form of a book with loads of places to stay to choose from, so they can go wherever they like.
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    A weather station with anemometer etc? Loads of stats for you ti work on and cross-reference to your rides . Or is that a bit too Eric from Ripping Yarns?
  • CiB
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Er...how well... er.... close to this block are you then?*

*Yes this will help me with my answer....
    He's in the West Mids, roughly. [Brother, for those who wondered...]

Some good ideas so far cheers.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    CIB - as an idea, how about this - you could buy him membership to the "Wine Society" which gives him access to a large selection of decent wines. That in itself doesn't cost a lot of money, but what you could also do is sign up to one of their "wine plans" which give you a selection of wines that they can keep in storage for you and you pay for monthly. Its worth having a look at - its a much better plan than say the Virgin wines/Sunday Times wine clubs as it gives you access to much better wine, the Wine Society's "home brand" wines are excellent and you can "learn" about what you're buying too (I have no link to them apart from being a happy punter!)
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Get nicely toasted with a box of these:

http://www.simplycigars.co.uk/twelve-da ... 6ef709ad00

Get "Ducked" with some of these:

http://www.farmingads.co.uk/farming-and ... impression

let off some steam with a $26,000 gun:

http://www.daverifflegunsales.com/images/guns/CG20.html

I am so crap at presents :-( Although, I am gonna get ducks for the kids!
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    On a practical note, can anyone else see a use for this?
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    marchant wrote:
    On a practical note, can anyone else see a use for this?

"It's dangerous riding a bike in the city—crazy drivers swerving in and out can seriously hurt you. So the next time a crazy jerk cuts you off and almost kills you, throw this magnetic yellow card at his car. "

And now we'll have cyclists reaching for their pockets and trying desperately to throw these things at the offending car.

I think I would end up missing half the time and they would probably end up over some poor innocent sod nearby :oops: