THANK YOU, Everyone !

gb155
gb155 Posts: 2,048
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
**Ooops, I put this in the OTHER commuting bit, could a mod remove that post please**

Afternoon all.

Its almost the end of the year and while I have a couple of busy weeks planned, I thought I pop in here and thank everyone for all the support/advice you have given me this last year.

Be it the MILLIONS of MTB questions I asked before buying another Cube

or Help and advice after I was hit by that van in the summer

and thanks to everyone who sponsored me this year too, I'd love for you to do it again next year

But most of all, thanks for making me feel welcomed, cycling is always seen as elitest, done by "Those skinny guys on Carbon bikes" it wasnt easy to come here (and other forums) 2 years ago with a sig stating I used to weigh the best part of 40 stone, but not once was it an issue, everyone was supportive and , if you take a look at my sig now, I think you'd agree that at 6 foot 3" I have pretty muched achieved everything I could have ever asked for , when it comes to weight loss.

To the new year, there will be new challenges, but for now, I wanted to thank you all and share a E-Glass of wine.

Gaz
On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
Now the hard work starts.

Comments

• hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    Gaz, think I've said this before in some thread or other, but only got admiration for your drive to achieve what you've done!

I use cycling to keep fit and you're great inspiration for those mornings where it's cold, rainy, dark and it's a toss up between train or the road!
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    well done, you're prooof it can be done and hopefully and inspiration to others

just change your other threar to start a discussion about what's better presta or schrader
    that should put the cat amongst the pigeons
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Gaz, I just looked at your blog, and frankly think you should stop the weight loss and switch to weight maintenance!

Very impressive weight loss. I hope the NHS are helping you out with the associated issues.

I have been wondering for some time, but felt it perhaps a bit rude to ask... then looking at your blog you seem quite happy to talk about everything, so I hope you don't think me rude... but how did you get to 39st in the first place? And what was it that suddenly gave you the impetus to do something about your weight?

I put on a lot of weight when I left uni - I stopped doing any sport at all (normally very active) and kept eating, then suddenly realised I'd got really fat and needed to do something about it!
  • nice work, that is one hell of a amount of weight to lose in 3 years, good to see you're reaping the benefits.
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Fantastic work Gaz, you're looking great. +1 for LiT's suggestion of weight maintenance (if not now, in the near future).
    New challenges? Sounds interesting.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • SO impressive Gaz!

I have so much respect for you being able to make the decision to do this, to actually make the diet/exercise changes needed and to stick with it even when you must have had lots of times when you felt like giving up. You should be an inspiration to anyone who is unhappy with their weight, it just shows it can be done without surgery.

The main thing is that you're feeling better about yourself and are enjoying life :D Here's to the next 12,000+ miles :lol:
    "I think the phrase rhymes with Clucking Bell"

FCN = 4
  • Nothing more to add, except for congratulations and well done. If only other people in your (old) position had such strength and willpower.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • Christ, you skinny b*stard! :D

Here's a dumb question: what have you done with all your old clothes?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Christ, you skinny b*stard! :D

how chunky are you exactly? :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Nice one Gaz! You will be an inspiration to many.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    Cheers to you, Gaz. Truly Inspirational stuff. I'm a fan.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Well done fella!
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Good work Gaz, you've shed 2 twelve stone people - amazing.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    As above + more. Have kept up with the story for a long long time now! Its deffo one I'll forward around to anyone short of inspiration and drive.
  • gb155
    WOW, I go away from a couple of hours and get all those replys, wasnt expect that

thanks again

when I get a moment I'll answer Lit's question as I know a few of you have asked this in the past, now I can answer it :D

Ride it like you stole it peeps :D

Gaz

• Wot the others said. Well done Gaz.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Well done Gaz. I'll just echo what the others have said, inspirational.
  • TLDNMCL
    TLDNMCL Posts: 2,779
    Impressive, very impressive. I don't mean the weihght loss alone but the mental stamina to go through with it during the bad times.

Great stuff.
    Mac
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    39 -> 13 stone would be a pretty good target to stop at, nice round number, 1/3 the man you used to be!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    @Gaz

They want a word with you over in Cake Stop

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... 1&start=20
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    @Gaz

They want a word with you over in Cake Stop

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... 1&start=20

TWH is right. Cake Stop really needs you for a chat.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • 39 -> 13 stone would be a pretty good target to stop at, nice round number, 1/3 the man you used to be!

and 3 x the man most of the rest of us are.
  • gb155
    39 -> 13 stone would be a pretty good target to stop at, nice round number, 1/3 the man you used to be!

and 3 x the man most of the rest of us are.

You are too kind !

• gb155
    Christ, you skinny b*stard! :D

Most of them were in a pretty poor state, as you can Imagen at 40 stone, one would perspire a fair old bit LOL

Some I have kept, so that once the skin is removed, I can have pictures taken :D

Others I have given away

• gb155
    Gaz, I just looked at your blog, and frankly think you should stop the weight loss and switch to weight maintenance!

Very impressive weight loss. I hope the NHS are helping you out with the associated issues.

I have been wondering for some time, but felt it perhaps a bit rude to ask... then looking at your blog you seem quite happy to talk about everything, so I hope you don't think me rude... but how did you get to 39st in the first place? And what was it that suddenly gave you the impetus to do something about your weight?

I put on a lot of weight when I left uni - I stopped doing any sport at all (normally very active) and kept eating, then suddenly realised I'd got really fat and needed to do something about it!

It was a combination of things really

I was a father, husband, bread winner, In my mind as long as everyone else was ok, then I just muddled though, that took me to unconsciousness eating, that lead to dont give a F**k eating, that lead to no self-esteem and boom before you knew it, I was out of control and feeling like I had no control over it at all, so I figured if I had no control then there wasn't much point in trying to fix it !

What made me wake up, was being strapped to a MRI machine, having a scan on my heart (at just 26) and the fact I was pouring in sweat (from just laying there) and being out of breath (again from simply laying there)

Never again though :D
    Gaz

• You really do have a great success story Gaz, I've admired your achievements for some time now.

I wish I had your resolve; I fluctuate between 19-20 stone and can't seem to get the focus to really do something about it.

Losing weight is something I've always figured I would "get around to", I'm a pretty well built guy and I'm not that unfit, so I've never really felt that urgency to sort myself out. However, I'm 34 now and I'm well aware that you don't see very many 19 stone old folks...

I totally get the theory; eat well and exercise well, but I somehow really struggle not to make poor choices on a daily basis. I love cycling, but it could be possible that I love onion bahjis and red wine better?
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I love cycling, but it could be possible that I love onion bahjis and red wine better?

HarryHill_fight.jpg
  • gb155 wrote:
    Gaz, I just looked at your blog, and frankly think you should stop the weight loss and switch to weight maintenance!

I was a father, husband, bread winner, In my mind as long as everyone else was ok, then I just muddled though, that took me to unconsciousness eating, that lead to dont give a F**k eating, that lead to no self-esteem and boom before you knew it, I was out of control and feeling like I had no control over it at all, so I figured if I had no control then there wasn't much point in trying to fix it !

What made me wake up, was being strapped to a MRI machine, having a scan on my heart (at just 26) and the fact I was pouring in sweat (from just laying there) and being out of breath (again from simply laying there)

Gaz

If everyone in your prior situation was as honest with themselves as you are, they'd be far better off.

Good on you.
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Genuinely stuff of LEGENDS Gaz me old china. Good on ya pal. :D
  • gb155
    gb155 wrote:

Gaz

If everyone in your prior situation was as honest with themselves as you are, they'd be far better off.

Good on you.

T'was the only way I was even gonna save my life TBH

I HAD to wake up.....!