2009 Marin Mount Vision 5.8

DickBarton
DickBarton Posts: 201
edited July 2011 in Your mountain bikes
Pretty much a bog standard version of the bike - in Large - I've got long legs and arms so a 19" frame fits me in body but the seatpost is always seriously long - this one is about 10mm more than the minimum insert line -

4494486572_499ae6d791.jpg
Marin Mount Vision 5.8 by DickBarton, on Flickr

Spec -

Frame: Marin Mount Vision 18.5"
Fork: Fox 32 F120RL
Rear Shock: Fox Float RP23

Rear Hub: Hope Pro 2
Front Hub: Hope Pro 2 (been driven over with my car and survived!)
Spokes: DT Competition with Brass Nipples (had alloys but they kept snapping)
Rims: Mavic XM-317
Tyres: Continental Vertical 2.3

Shift Levers: XT
Front Derailleur: XT
Rear Derailleur: XT RapidRise Medium length

Cassette: XT, 11-34, 9 Speed
Chain: XT with SRAM Powerlink
Crankset: XT, 22/32/44 with HollowTech II Arms running Middleburn inner and middle Hardcote and outer Slickshift
Bottom Bracket: XT
Pedals: Shimano M520 Clipless

Seatpost (current): RockShox Reverb - 420mm (30.9mm diameter)
Seatpost (previously): FSA SL-250 (30.9mm diameter)
Saddle: WTB Silverado Race SL

Bar (current): Easton EA70 MonkeyBar, OS-31.8mm, Low Rise
Bars (previously): FSA Style SS World Cup flats (trimmed to 680mm) with bar-ends
Stem (previously): FSA OS150LX
Stem (current): Hope 110mm 10degree rise Oversize
Grips: Lizard Skins Lock-ons
Headset: Orbit MX

Brakes Front: Hope M4 180 with floating rotor and braided hose
Brakes Rear: Hope M4 160 with floating rotor and braided hose
Brake Levers: Hope Tech 2

Weight: About 27.5lbs

4711751435_435a0c48cf.jpg

4513552957_74912094ed.jpg
img_0572 by DickBarton, on Flickr

4589522918_ee267b12d2.jpg
A slippery pause for a picture by DickBarton, on Flickr

5221252817_7e3d0e0887.jpg

3581446590_fc04495e79.jpg
Mount Vision overlooking Touch Hills by DickBarton, on Flickr

3580636799_e637d57fdc.jpg
Not all this technical! by DickBarton, on Flickr

4199990166_584190f1fd.jpg
Marin in natural habitat by DickBarton, on Flickr
The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...

Comments

• Lovely looking bike, and some tasty looking places to ride as well.

Love that frame!
  • Thanks.
  • I also really like that frame, the same kinda thing as the Whytes (just the kinda shape of the linkage and chainstays)
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Nice looking bike and good to see it getting "down and dirty".
  • It is essentially the same as Whyte - it's made by Whyte for Main, just the Whyte frames use a lot more carbon and fancier looking linkages...I think this year the geometry is slightly different between the 2 as well, but it's the same frame to the naked eye.

It rides well - way better than the owner can anyway!
  • DickBarton wrote:
    It is essentially the same as Whyte - it's made by Whyte for Main, just the Whyte frames use a lot more carbon and fancier looking linkages...I think this year the geometry is slightly different between the 2 as well, but it's the same frame to the naked eye.

It rides well - way better than the owner can anyway!
    sheesh, I only thought they took design ques from each other not the whole frame
  • As far as I know the design of the Marin full bouncers is done by Whyte (it used to be Jon Whatsit who was contracted to ATB Sales in some way or other)...Jon designed the frames and Marin built them...Jon then left ATB Sales and formed Whyte bikes (I think) and carried on designing the frames for Marin - but Whyte also took the design and tweaked it as their own - carbon front ends/carbon rear ends, fancier linkages, etc. Take a Whyte and a Marin from the same era and sit them side-by-side and apart from finishing kit, it's the same bike...

Nothing wrong with that, but the Marin would be considered the cheaper brother...

This is all my understanding and not 100% accurate as I wasn't around when this all happened, I got into full bounce long after this all happened and I didn't pay much attention when it did.
  • http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/images/prod_35259.jpg
    I'll definitely agree with you on that after looking at the whyte again. Though I do like the 'swoopy' top tube on the marin more than the straight top tube on the whyte. But then the orange bits on the whyte are so good. I'm just going to say that the marin looks lovely and so does the whyte, it's easier than trying to decide which ones nicer and its true.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    DickBarton wrote:
    As far as I know the design of the Marin full bouncers is done by Whyte (it used to be Jon Whatsit who was contracted to ATB Sales in some way or other)...Jon designed the frames and Marin built them...Jon then left ATB Sales and formed Whyte bikes (I think) and carried on designing the frames for Marin - but Whyte also took the design and tweaked it as their own - carbon front ends/carbon rear ends, fancier linkages, etc. Take a Whyte and a Marin from the same era and sit them side-by-side and apart from finishing kit, it's the same bike...

Nothing wrong with that, but the Marin would be considered the cheaper brother...

This is all my understanding and not 100% accurate as I wasn't around when this all happened, I got into full bounce long after this all happened and I didn't pay much attention when it did.

Pretty much spot on... example of my old 08 MV and my mates 08 Whyte E-120.. if it wasn't for the carbon of the Whyte, you could pretty much switch the badges over and not know..

pbpic4264156.jpg

Great looking bike by the way, it makes me miss mine.. :cry: I found the stock stem to be too long by miles (for me), stuck a 70mm on there, and didn't need to change anything else.. enjoy it buddy :D

Some great pics by the way!
  • Nice pic...

I think the stem is spot on for my lanky build...I have had a few problems with the front end lifting as it is...so if it was shorter I'd be manualing everywhere...
  • PS sorry for taking the thread off topic and away from your very nice marin.
  • No need to apologise...all useful chat...
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Nice, love the 2007-2009 frames they are spanking...like you tall and long legged so a 400mm Thompson post and 110mm stem was needed....great trail bike though and love it!
    Just to point out the 4 bar link frame weas designed by Jon Whyte but Marin have the frames produced, and I think they make some frames for Whyte...

Here's mine

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12724277
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Now with flat bars and bar-ends -

5377340867_05f6e9df84.jpg
    2009 Marin Mount Vision 5.8 by DickBarton, on Flickr
  • Why is that seatpost so high?... you must be built like a Chicken. I saw a guy riding one of these last year at 10 under the ben - he only managed one lap though.
  • DickBarton
    edited January 2011
    That was probably me - I did 10 under but due to lack of game plan in the team and a proper lack of fitness we took much longer on the laps than planned - I had an off and had to clean my eye out and whilst I was fishing about for some water, another team mate took the chance to get another lap in...by the time it was my shot again, there was less than 30 minutes before cut off so I didn't go out again.

(Saying that, I was utterly humped after my first lap so wasn't too annoyed to have missed my second shot - was well up for giving it a bash until about 1pm - I still hadn't ridden and Iw as getting bored)

4614791494_c042e65b3e.jpg
    Mount Vision - 'race' ready by DickBarton, on Flickr

I'm built out of synch - very long arms and legs but a body of normal proportion - saddle is high because I have long legs...
  • very nice,what are your new bars?
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.
  • I join the chicken gang. My proportions are weird. I've got an 18" frame with a 350mm seatpost and I'm at the minimum insertion line. I'm only 5ft 7"!
  • I join the 'chicken gang'. My proportions are weird. I've got an 18" frame with a 350mm seatpost and I'm at the minimum insertion line. I'm only 5ft 7"!

The marin is still looking awesome, I really like them with the swoopy top tube
  • Truvativ World Cup Stylo SS Flat bar. 700mm wide but I found them a touch too wide, so I lopped 30mm off either end - probably should have gone for 20mm but not a real issue yet - great through the trees and I'm now liking climbing again as I've got more hand positions...

Also went for a slightly higher rise stem (Hope stem) - 10 degree instead of the 6 degree I had before - means I don't loose any of the height from the last bar which was handy.
  • DickBarton
    Back with the risers but bike is now back with ATBSales as it developed a proper metallic cracking noise whenever it was pedalled - unsure if suspension or pedalling-induced but the bike has been stripped down and rebuild several times and new bearings, etc. Still there so now back with ATB Sales to try and discover/fix the noise.

A brilliant bike - I've now fitted a RockShox Reverb post and I'm finding it has made biking even better...I never adjusted my saddle hieght (I hate trying to get it sorted once adjusted), but this helps majorly - no more bruising from a saddle skelping me!
  • lovely bike mate, but i will be biased having an 09 rock springs, +1 for getting a dropper post i used to have 1 on a fury, but i sold when my next bike had a different size, but like my luck is i now have the marin which is same size........bugger
  • DickBarton
    Thanks very much. The dropper is having much more of an impact than I thought it would...really good and so far, trouble-free.

Should be back today and I'll get the back wheel stripped down to see how mangled the freehub actually is - it works - on the bike and in my hands when I spin the cassette around - no metallic cracking noise at all...I'm wondering if the hub itself might be cracked now...will order up a new freehub and see if that fixes it first though!

Thankfully not the frame/suspension, just the rear wheel (after the rear wheel being swapped with 5 others and tested - only time the sound was heard was when my wheel was in the bike).
  • DickBarton
    Cracking noise appears to have been the freehub killing itself...remove the cassette and the freehub fell off the hub as well - looks like the internal bearings had collapsed. New freehub fitted and it's deathly silent once again.