New sportive in Pyrenees.

Comments

• A bit early in the season...

The Pyrenees have notoriously temperamental weather and if it rains in May it will be tough... it could even snow up the cols. I've never been so cold as last June up the Aubisque-Sulour and Tourmalet. May is normnally the wettest month around Europe.

On the other hand, on a nice day it should be a very good event
    left the forum March 2023
  • Mountains make their own weather. It can snow in the Pyrenees or Alps at any time of year. I have been there in May and it was great 25c every day. I did the pyreneen sportive a few years ago which is the first weekend in June, it was roasting 36c, then later in the week it poured rain and was only 3c, far to cold to ride any cols. Was in Argeles one year in March, we went to ski, the weather was so nice (mid 20s) that I abandoned the skis and hired a bike. Sods law, no sooner had I the bike than it turned cold and there was fresh snow.

I think it should be fun with the tour riders. I might beat them as they are all older than I am.
  • shawman wrote:
    Mountains make their own weather. It can snow in the Pyrenees or Alps at any time of year. I have been there in May and it was great 25c every day. I did the pyreneen sportive a few years ago which is the first weekend in June, it was roasting 36c, then later in the week it poured rain and was only 3c, far to cold to ride any cols. Was in Argeles one year in March, we went to ski, the weather was so nice (mid 20s) that I abandoned the skis and hired a bike. Sods law, no sooner had I the bike than it turned cold and there was fresh snow.

I think it should be fun with the tour riders. I might beat them as they are all older than I am.

Well, you'll be surprised... I once rode the climb to Oropa before the time trial at the Giro, when I was passed by a peloton including Moser, Fondriest and even Gianni Motta in his mid sixties! I couldn't keep up with them, not a chance....
    left the forum March 2023
  • Why don't you try the L'ariegoise sportive in June www.velocamps.com run a weekend,

• Well, you'll be surprised... I once rode the climb to Oropa before the time trial at the Giro, when I was passed by a peloton including Moser, Fondriest and even Gianni Motta in his mid sixties! I couldn't keep up with them, not a chance....
    Walkowiak at 83 is over twice my age, so I'm feeling confident.