Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Any ideas? A few people are asking what I want :D

What have you asked for?
FCN 2 to 8

Comments

• andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    wiggle vouchers I ask for, or just order things and give them to people to give me. got a merino base layer on its way :)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Planet X Carbon bottle cages.

A Castelli beanie or Assos skull cap.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • This reminds me, I need to think of something cycling related to get my Dad. It needs to be something highly prized and/or useful, and also something he wouldn't have thought of himself. Suggestions people?
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • This reminds me, I need to think of something cycling related to get my Dad. It needs to be something highly prized and/or useful, and also something he wouldn't have thought of himself. Suggestions people?

Could start with a magazine subscription in line with the flavour of cycling he does and then add to that according to your budget. If the budget doesn't stretch to the subscription tell him that Oct, Nov and Dec should be given straight to you without him reading. :wink:
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    Could ask for some zero cal hydration tabs like the high five or isostar ones - handy for dropping in your bottle before the commute.
    Chain degreaser.
    Bottled guiness??
    Spoke key.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    those little emergency rear led lights are good wee stocking fillers...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    edited December 2010
    @soundninjaUK - someone of an engineering persuasion might like Bicycling Science book (DG Wilson) which is stuffed with meaty, technical facts : that or a wheel-building bible.
    Dyed in the wool roadie might like a biography such as the Tom Simpson one, Put me back on my Bike (william Fotheringham) or the Robert Millar one (Richard Moore).
    What's your budget ? who wouldn't want a garmin gps? :)
    Classic racing jersey - I think you can get vintage-style jerseys with original sponsors names but you'd have to go Googling.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    a buff!
  • cambs wrote:
    @soundninjaUK - someone of an engineering persuasion might like Bicycling Science book (DG Wilson) which is stuffed with meaty, technical facts : that or a wheel-building bible.
    Dyed in the wool roadie might like a biography such as the Tom Simpson one, Put me back on my Bike (william Fotheringham) or the Robert Millar one (Richard Moore).
    What's your budget ? who wouldn't want a garmin gps? :)
    Classic racing jersey - I think you can get vintage-style jerseys with original sponsors names but you'd have to go Googling.

Haha, me and my brother got him a Garmin last year or year before, and it's still going strong. He wears jerseys from his cycling club, but some sort of handy bike tech book sounds like a plan, especially given that he's going on a bike tech course in the new year...

EDIT: Park Tools Big Blue Book of Bike repair etc. it is. Thanks for the suggestions.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    nike compression socks for £10

hell, you can even use them as xmas stockings and hang them over your fireplace

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • I quite like how may has cycle tan lines... and a dogma too.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Stuff for under £10 -

emergency front light , such as
    http://www.parker-international.co.uk/4 ... Light.html

Mule bar selection

De Feet slipstream oversocks (if you wear cycle shoes )

Earwarmers e.g the Lusso one. Much better than hats , suitable for -2 to +4

SKS picollo pump

Gore bikewear glove liners

brake blocks ( always need them )

pack of 5 inner tubes ( always need them )

assos cycling cap

multitool

chain lube

BBB handy "cafe" bike lock ( better than nothing when you have to nip into that newsagents for a pint of milk )

Cateye LD600 - replaced by the 610 so you might be able to pick it up for ~ £10

tool bottle ( slips in bottle cage containing your innertube, levers, repair kit , multitool etc )

tools - chainwhip , cassette tool , chainring puller etc
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    cee wrote:
    those little emergency rear led lights are good wee stocking fillers...

Knog Frogs I got - good kit.
  • Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Chiggy
    Chiggy Posts: 261
    spokey-joe-handlebar-tassels_373606_500.jpg

The bastards don't do blue ones. That's sexual discrimination, that is. :x