Road Tyres

Mr OCD
Mr OCD Posts: 382
edited December 2010 in MTB beginners
Being new to MTB and not having ridden a bike properly (not quite the same at the gym!) I want to use the bike on the road for a bit first to improve my fitness and become familiar with the bike...

Not a problem except it has continental gravity tyres...

Can anyone recommend any road tyres to use?
2009 Carrera Fury

Comments

• Too much of a faff to put road tyres on unless you're using an MTB as a commuter where time counts or have a whole sett of spares.

For fitness best leave your mud tyres on!
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i'd say leave it as it is, it is a pain in the ass to keep changing them as said above. but maxxis wormdrives are semi slick, no good for winter but in summer there sort of the best of both worlds
  • Mr OCD
    Ok thanks guys... Will leave them on then and just use it!

Any idea of road pressures?
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • The highest pressure your tyres recommend.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    The tyres on the Fury you have seem to lose the edges of the blocks of tread very quickly on-road. Keep them up to about 60psi if you intend to use them, and gentle on the brakes else you will lock up the rear tyre and destroy it quickly.
  • mattv
    The tyres on the Fury you have seem to lose the edges of the blocks of tread very quickly on-road. Keep them up to about 60psi if you intend to use them, and gentle on the brakes else you will lock up the rear tyre and destroy it quickly.
  • mattv
  • Mr OCD
    mattv wrote:

Thanks... 8)
    2009 Carrera Fury
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I like Geax Booze semi slicks as they can handle street abuse as well :roll: But any slick or semi slick from the usual brands will do the job. Personaly on road at speed the side blocks off road tyres have do give quite a lot of squirm and can let go at lower speeds than a round edge road tyre.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll: