I'm going to the Tour!!

Tusher
Tusher Posts: 2,762
edited January 2011 in Pro race
Finally, after decades of dreaming, I am finally going to see Le Tour in the flesh.

Hubby has just booked a campsite in the Vendee, and I should get three days spectating in.

I feel like a 6 year old on Christmas Eve, I'm just ecstatic. Yippee!

Thassorl.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Apparently HTC-High Road have just hired additional security. :wink:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I've heard Cuddly Bob has hired a new consultantfor the team too.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Well congrats. It's great to be there. You swap the comfort of home, the constant stream of information from the net and TV, and the beautiful TV pictures for hours of waiting and a bare passing glimpse of the riders. But you know what, it's great, you're barely a metre from all that sweat, effort and doubtless a micro-dose or two of epp. You'll love it.

....and of course, you never know what IOM sprinter might be loooking for a groupie ;)
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    dougzz wrote:
    ....and of course, you never know what IOM sprinter might be loooking for a groupie ;)

Is the answer Steve Joughin?

I don't think Cav and Cuddly Bob need to be worried. I'd be more concerned about a spate of knitting-needle induced punctures in the final 10k that beset Farrar, Greipel and the others.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Tusher
    Ssshhhh. I was hoping to keep that a closely guarded secret!
  • dougzz
    LangerDan wrote:

I don't think Cav and Cuddly Bob need to be worried. I'd be more concerned about a spate of knitting-needle induced punctures in the final 10k that beset Farrar, Greipel and the others.

Greipel? I didn't realise it was sh1t little race :)
  • Tusher
    Back for more advice from the experts, please.

Discussing the finer details of the Tusher Holiday with the family today.
    Naturally, my reasons for going are Le Tour, Le Tour and Le Tour. I am the only cycling fan in our family, although hubby is interested, and the children have also expressed an interest. We're staying 5 km from St Giles-Croix-de-Vie, and hubby and I are capable (we think) of cycling to the presentation, Grand Depart, Time trial and depart of stage 3. We may be leaving very early in the mornings.
    Sister-in-law would like to know if the French roads are safe for 9 and 10 year old children to cycle on?

And what I'm looking for is, to be honest, reasons not to take my in-laws. Before I sound like an ungrateful daughter-in-law, I love them dearly, but they're in their late 70s, and my father-in-law is blind, although they are both fit. I've told them about the huge crowds, need to be there hours beforehand, lack of public toilets for weak bladders and so on. As they have a disabled sticker for the car, they seem to think that they'll be able to drive into the Tour towns, park in a disabled space, and leave 20 minutes after the peloton.

Am I correct in trying to persuade them to stay at the campsite?

I was also wondering of the logistics of chaining our own bikes to railings and walking around the depart villages.
    Would I be better off checking on public transport? Are there large car parks on the outskirts with park and ride taking the fans to the start/finish areas?

Apologies for sounding both hopelessly naive and a control freak.
  • Splendid, I am sure you will have a top time.

Leave plenty of space in your case to bring back free stuff from the caravan publicitaire :lol:
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    dougzz wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:

What?
  • Karl2010
    Karl2010 Posts: 511
    None of my business but your in-laws may never of had a chance to experience The Tour either, and if they are getting on in age they might not get another chance.

Im sure you can figure a way for you all to enjoy it.

Maybe getting yourself on one of the final climbs of a stage would be good as the group will be broken up and you might get to see some attacks.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    LangerDan wrote:

He touches Tom and there will be hell to pay!
  • Valy wrote:
    dougzz wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:

What?

i guess he is referring to when cav said Greipel has lots of wins because they are all in sh1tty little races, i would say France is ok for 9 and 10 years old to ride with their parents, if they do in England well then they will be much safer in France as they are alot more accommodating for cyclists
  • dougzz

i guess he is referring to when cav said Greipel has lots of wins because they are all in sh1tty little races
    :lol:

Tusher. My own experience of the Tour is one of crowds and lots of tiring inconvenience. I'm sure the oldies would love it, but I think you're right to be concerned at the lack of toilets and seats and many other things older people tend to value greatly. I've been at stage finishes a few times and it's always been mayhem with people, bikes and all manner of traffic. Was I you I'd risk the bad daughter in law label :)
  • Awesome news. I'm also going to be there for the first 3 days of racing, staying on Noirmoutier which I know very well from my childhood.

I can't wait and am looking forward to the hours of planning I'm going to put in to make it as fun as possible for my group.
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way...

Ribble Gran Fondo
    Shimano 105
    CSN Superleggera XL50
    Speedplay X2
    Met SineThesis
    Sidi Ergo 2
    Garmin 705
  • Haven't been to see many flat stages, I tend to head to the mountains, which I will be doing this year! But I would add to what others have said. The stage starts and finishes tend to be big crowds and lots of chaos. Don't think it's a good idea to drive there, even if you have disabled badges on your car. Have never seen a park and ride system at the Tour, used one at the Cyclo Cross Worlds where the buses were provided by the Belgian army! Also not too sure about biking in, not sure I'd feel confident chaining up my bike somewhere. Public transport and a bit of walking might be your best bet if you really want to get into a stage start or finish. A bit of research into the towns you want to go to is called for maybe?

The TT stage is completely different though. Perfect for the family. Take the car, load it up with food and drink, find yourself a spot by the side of the road, (although you'll need to be very early) camp out for the day and watch the riders go by. If you can't get a spot and have to abandon the car and either cycle or walk to the route do not leave anything in the car. I had my bags stolen from a hire car at the Annecy TT a couple of years ago. Not recommended!

Also from your outline plan you just seem to be heading for stage starts for the road stages, I'd throw in a finish or do as someone else suggests, head out to one of the climbs or sprints towards the end of a stage. Starts are fine, but you want to head out on the route and see some racing, right?

And as for campsites, I've only ever camped at the Tour when on the route, by the side of the road. You can usually get hotels unless you want to stay in the town where the Tour is either starting or finishing. But then it is July, in France, can't see what's wrong with camping if that's what you want.

Hope that helps and you and your family have a great time!
  • hardy26
    hardy26 Posts: 24
    It's our 4th year this year, I'm hooked. We're off to a nice little camp site about 10kms from the bottom of Alpe D'Huez. Can't wait as we'll be really in the thick of it for three stages. Lots of cycling on my new Cannondale Synapse, a good test for the mountains. As others have said arrive early as the atmosphere is a lot of the enjoyment, the sound of the helicopters, ahh I'm already there. Also take lots of water as normally very hot and a small child as they get all the good stuff from the caravan.