Hybrid tyres - grippy in the wet - suggestions...

edfitz15
edfitz15 Posts: 3
edited December 2010 in Commuting general
Hello,

Having slid off my wet-weather hybrid on the way home on Friday, I'm in the market for some new, grippier tyres.

All my riding is on London roads.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ed

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most the reputable brands are fairly grippy, but oil/ice/steel furniture will catch any tyre out.

Been very impressed with the WTB slickasaurus I'm running, but they are a little heavy and not cheap new (got mine used), even had a pedal strike cornering in the wet once.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    What tyres have you got on at the moment?
    What size tyres do you want to use?
    How much puncture protection do you want?
    How much do you want to spend?

I use vittoria tyres on my road bike, they are bloody briliant but cost an arm and a leg.
  • kr1s
    kr1s Posts: 125
    Specialized Armadillo Nimbus !
    Trek Madone 5.2 08
    Specialized Tricross
    Scott Scale
    Twitter @ChrisBedford1
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    Continental Ultra Gatorskins. I use 28s on my Sirrus and the rubber compound is very grippy. I had the slick Armadillos previously and found the hard rubber very scary in the wet.
  • kr1s
    kr1s Posts: 125
    pete54 wrote:
    Continental Ultra Gatorskins. I use 28s on my Sirrus and the rubber compound is very grippy. I had the slick Armadillos previously and found the hard rubber very scary in the wet.

I run 38's on a cross bike - very fast and feel really safe, all conditions
    Trek Madone 5.2 08
    Specialized Tricross
    Scott Scale
    Twitter @ChrisBedford1
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Gatorskins are OK. i wouldn't say very grippy. Espcially when compared to more racing kind of tyres.
    I've only lost my front wheel once in several years of cycling, and that was on a gatorskin at 10mph.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Don't know about the Armadillo Nimbus, but the vanilla Armadillos I had a couple of years ago were catastrophic in even damp conditions. I came off in the wet once by locking up the front wheel. That was a 2.5" MTB tyre though, so low contact pressure might have been a factor.

On my hybrid I run 28x700c Conti GP 4Seasons and they have been superb on all but ice.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Armadillo is not the type of tyre - it just means that it has the extra puncture protection.

So its not clear at all what you had a couple of years ago. If it was a 2.5 MTB tyre then unlikely to have anything even remotely connected to how the Nimbus fares.
    DesWeller wrote:
    Don't know about the Armadillo Nimbus, but the vanilla Armadillos I had a couple of years ago were catastrophic in even damp conditions. I came off in the wet once by locking up the front wheel. That was a 2.5" MTB tyre though, so low contact pressure might have been a factor.

On my hybrid I run 28x700c Conti GP 4Seasons and they have been superb on all but ice.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    apreading wrote:
    Armadillo is not the type of tyre - it just means that it has the extra puncture protection.

So its not clear at all what you had a couple of years ago. If it was a 2.5 MTB tyre then unlikely to have anything even remotely connected to how the Nimbus fares.

Fair enough. I'll have to look them up when I get back home now, work out what they were!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    apreading wrote:

I had the All Condition Armadillos, 700 x 28c, rubbish in the wet.
  • domjon
    domjon Posts: 25
    I've been happy with these since i put em on a couple of months ago for the very same reason, cheap as chips too...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=24615

'Was intending just to use them over winter but to be honest I'll probably leave em on all year...damn good tyre for the money.