London Hire Bikes

Berk Bonebonce
Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
I have to say, I think the London Hire Bikes are streets ahead in terms of design. In fact, you have got to ask why the bicycle designers of the world have not already given us consumers such functional bikes already.

Some pics of the bikes here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/15020.aspx

Comments

• ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    TBH most bikes sold in London hardly have any of those features :)
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    And the hire bikes in Cardiff are shaft drive! Shaft drive I tells ya!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    I have to say, I think the London Hire Bikes are streets ahead in terms of design. In fact, you have got to ask why the bicycle designers of the world have not already given us consumers such functional bikes already.

Some pics of the bikes here: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/15020.aspx
    I think they're a pretty good piece of design, but I'm not a designer.

They function brilliantly and look good too (in my opinion).
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I'm not sure why you seem to think they're so revolutionary? From a design point of view they seem to tick pretty much all the boxes required for their very specific purpose. For the same reasons I'm not convinced that this makes them a very practical all-round bike.

Integrated lights aside, what makes them better than something like this?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    ............psst.......Brun............

I don't think that this is a serious thread you know? Just a thought :D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • _Brun_
    Now you mention it...

In my defence, I'm reading it on a Monday morning and have only had two coffees. Also, the lack of a winky-smiley is downright irresponsible.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    After having used them on a weekend trip to London I have to say they're fantastic bikes. Much more suited to round town than any of the bikes I have at home. To be able to get these bikes for £1 per day is amazing. I saved dosh on the tube tickets and had a great time whizzing round.

Dunno about your bikes, but mine dont have integral lights, chainguards, kickstands and mahoosive tyres to negotiate the worst potholes London can throw at me.

The gears were a little on the low side for me though - I couldnt catch the chain gang in Regents Park.
  • _Brun_ wrote:
    I'm not sure why you seem to think they're so revolutionary? From a design point of view they seem to tick pretty much all the boxes required for their very specific purpose. For the same reasons I'm not convinced that this makes them a very practical all-round bike.

Integrated lights aside, what makes them better than something like this?

I am not claiming they are 'revolutionary' - they look like the Montreal Bixi bikes. However, there are design features that do not at all appear in utility bikes intended for retail sales, like natty steerer design and concealed cables.

And you talk of 'design for a specific purpose'. Well, exactly. These bikes are designed as 'city bikes' - they are not trying to be 'all-round' bikes.

And as for that Ridgeback Avenida, well, it sucks. 26", with its lower centre of gravity, makes for much more assured and safer handling than 700c. That's why Hire Bikes around the world are 26" and not 700c. First rule of bike design that.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    And as for that Ridgeback Avenida, well, it sucks. 26", with its lower centre of gravity, makes for much more assured and safer handling than 700c. That's why Hire Bikes around the world are 26" and not 700c. First rule of bike design that.

Can't comment too much on the 26" vs 700c comment, surely there's not that much in it? And 26" tends to be fitted with fat tyres so not sure the COG is that low.

And surely the first rule of bike design is "make sure both wheels are attached to the frame"? :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • I always feel a bit precarious out on my 700c road bike after using my 26" utility bike. And apart from the lower centre of gravity, you got more rubber in contact with the road with 26".
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

Is it? How do you know that that is why they are 26"? Don't see why you can't design a bike with 700c wheels and lower CofG than a normal 700c. Nor why you can't design a 700c wheeled bike with fatter tyres.

I'd have thought it more likely that hire bikes use 26" because the wheels will be inherently stronger and the higher top speeds of a 700c wheeled bike are worth less than the quicker acceleration of the smaller wheels.

Incidentally, not all hire scheme bikes around the world are 26 inch anyway.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • _Brun_
    And you talk of 'design for a specific purpose'. Well, exactly. These bikes are designed as 'city bikes' - they are not trying to be 'all-round' bikes.
    My point was that they're designed specifically as hire bikes, which means they need to be fully equipped for people to turn up in completely normal clothes without any other equipment. Most cyclists don't need all this unnecessary encumbrance, which is reflected by the bikes they do buy despite there already being more 'practical' bikes on the market.