How much to post a bike?

getonyourbike
getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
edited December 2010 in MTB general
I've just bought a bike off somebody through gumtree, with delivery included in the price. He said it cost him £80 to post is, really? The online places only charge £25 don't they?

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    You can get a bike couriered for £10.50 from www.senditnow.com

If the bike is insured with the courier it may have additional costs

But not £80, he's having a laugh
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    You will be looking at £25- £30 to post a full bike boxed via parcel force 48hr.

I suppose it depends wether the seller has factored in the costs involved in getting it to a parcel force depot. My local depot is 45 mins away, 1.5 hour round trip, thats not cheap in petrol.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Cost me £25 to post a complete bike in a On-One 456 frame box, admittedly it was stripped and [expertly] squeezed into the frame box
  • well, its coming through TNT, 3-5 working day. He should have asked you guys obviously. I got a good deal then. He was asking £400, I knocked it down to £370 including delivery. So about £340/350 if he'd packaged and sent it cheaper.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    You bought a bike via gumtree, without even seeing it?

Good luck with that.
  • I've got about 20 pictures of literally everything and it looks perfect. I've also tried the same bike new, in store for fit. I've got a comfirmation from the courier as well now which he forwarded to me. Everything's looking good, I can't say if I could find something better locally I would go for the one from gumtree, no way. If I could see it in person, I would. I'm not going up to edinburgh, I'm in the midlands.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/0x1/album/567669801
  • Lots of scams on gumtree..Lets hope this isn't one of them :shock:
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    It cost me £30 to send my old bike, including insurance with the couriers :D

I could have sent it cheaper but I wanted it properly insured etc.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • trebor127 wrote:
    Lots of scams on gumtree..Lets hope this isn't one of them :shock:
    me included, I'll find out this week. though he seems like a normal guy like any of you lot (if we can call you normal :lol: ). I would have had it earlier but the snow stopped that. If he was a scammer I bet he would have asked for the money evevn when he couldn't send the non-existent bike.
  • I'm even more convinced it isn't a scam now. The bike's been picked up from his house by TNT. :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    7 quid with parcels2go.
  • well the gumtree gamble paid off, I've got a literally barely used Fury for £370 delivered. It obviously hasn't been used as the gear cables are still stretching and the condition of the cassette is too good to have been cleaned and the teeth are perfect.