BHF London to South Coast 2010/2011 (75 miles off road)

richvass
richvass Posts: 68
edited January 2011 in MTB rides
Hi, just wanted to start a new post for this event for 2011. I completed this event last September and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was certainly achievable. I shall be taking with me spare gear cables (one of mine snapped, I had no spare cos I forgot to pack one and some kind soul gave me their spare cable. A big thank you to you my unknown friend). I may use schwalbe hurricane tires for 2011 as the majority of the route is on a disused railway track cinder path where a good lick of speed can be achieved. I would advise self sealing inner tubes and or kevlar tires as I saw every mile or so individuals or a group sitting by the side of the path or track repairing a puncture. I for one are glad I was puncture free throughout. I noticed that there was a herd instinct to speed off at the start of the event. I settled down and found my cruising pace. Take your time and enjoy the stunning scenary along the Thames. I saw an unfortunate fellow cyclist require medical treatment. I later learnt he had injured his shoulder and his bike I presume had to be left unattended. So, if you intend to cycle solo you may consider taking a light bicycle lock with you. I trained each weekend two months prior to the event thirty miles or more to build up my fitness for the event. Apart from being saddle sore my legs were fine at the end. I took plenty of food and water with me and powdered mineral supplement for my water bottles. The last hill and the false crest just before the coast was a real pig to climb. That was the only time I pushed my bike throughout the event however the sense of euphoria on the downhill stretch was brilliant. I loved it! I intend to scan the route sheet later for anyone contemplating this event for 2011. Is there anyone out there thinking of giving it a go? Would be good to know your thoughts on the event?

Comments

• Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    How long did it take you out of interest? My average cycling speed off road is a snails pace so I imagine it'd take me forever.
  • I started at half eight and finished at six that's with a good half hour for lunch and say about another half an hour spent repairing my cable.
  • Shmikuk
    Shmikuk Posts: 117
    We also did it this year and plan to do it again next. 7.25 hours actual riding at a social pace with our group. Total time was about 9.5 hrs start to end. We had a support car and met friends family and partners at the checkpoints, and had a lunch stop. Tbh, the support car was reassuring but luckily not essential, although made fluid top ups easy.
    A great day out considering the weather preceding this years event. Nothing overly technical but some of the climbs were hard work, ESP the final ascent up thunderbarrow hill, which we cleaned, much to our amazement.
    Its a great cause too.
  • I enjoyed the day immensly and meeting with other like minded people. I caught the train to the start point and back to London from Brighton, no real problems there. I certainly enjoyed lying on the grass at the lunch stop watching other cyclists coming down the slope. I am toying with the idea of also doing the BHF 100 mile South Downs Way. Have you done it?
  • Shmikuk
    Not done that one. Yep, the camaraderie wasgreat on the day. We had some great banter with some guys struggling up through winterfold and a group of girls around wisley common.
  • Had a great day but won't be doing it again as the route was fairly dull. The south downs link was just very tedious. Straight, no view, no uphill or downhill and about 30 miles !! I'm sure that there would be a longer more interesting route using different bridleways...
    FCN 5 - Fuji Roubaix 2
    FCN 11 - Giant Trance X3
  • I agree with you the last stretch was long. BHF do a South Downs Way event. I am tempted to apply in 2011. The 100 mile route would be a challenge. Has anyone completed it? Any tips?
  • I agree with you the last stretch was long. BHF do a South Downs Way event. I am tempted to apply in 2011. The 100 mile route would be a challenge. Has anyone completed it? Any tips?
  • Richvass.... yep did the south downs way 100 mile thing this year and will be doing it again next year. Its bascially 10,000 feet of uphill and 100 miles so you're doing it all day and some of the downhills are too hairy to really switch off so you're mentally drained as well. This year it was 28 degreees as well so although the trails were fast and dusty, the heat really made it tough with %80 dropping out at the 65 mile mark. Having said that though if it would have been wet n'muddy, it would have been even tougher. If you need to know anything else, just ask mate.....
    FCN 5 - Fuji Roubaix 2
    FCN 11 - Giant Trance X3
  • :arrow: :arrow: Hi all looking to enter BHF 2011 london to south coast off road but have found no way of gettin a aplication love to have some help if any one got any ideas were too look,

also i am thinking of using my 2010 cube ams comp, dual suspension, ??? any advise????
  • Yep. I intend to do the London/Brighton off road this year. I live smack in the middle of the Downslink (yeah, the flat boring part of it) so I know part of the route off by heart anyway.

I wouldn't worry about doing it on a full sus as my only bike is a ten year old Marin Attack Trail with modern gears, brakes and general running gear so I don't have a choice.

Should be fun :)
    Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy :-)
  • pemsey
    pemsey Posts: 107
    Not sure if the event is on or not :?: It was listed on the BHF events site a few days ago but I looked on Friday and it had vanished from the list - although the webpage for the event still exists as a seperate entity :?: :!:

I'd suggest checking on the BHF events listing every so often to see if it's back and "live" yet.

It's a good event - I did it this year and I'd like to do it again - might tempted to take some music for the downs link though! :roll:
  • For anyone hunting for a link to the 2011 event, I hunted through the site and couldn't find a link. However, I remembered I had saved it as a favourite so here you go.

[/url]http://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/events/view-event.aspx?ps=1000981
  • BHF has removed the event from their web site. I think they may be reorganising their bike rides to celebrate their 50th anniversary
    http://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/even ... -soon.aspx
  • hi all, i have been emailing some big wigs from bhf website i have been told they will email asap about dates and aplication forms hopefully i can add it on here in time to help any one,

to cahnge subject can any one give me advise on what to pack on a ride like this,

tools,food,spares???? anyideas also pm about kit if need be
  • Shmikuk
    I'm no expert but last year our group took:
    Spare inner tubes
    Puncture repair kit
    Pump
    Multi tool
    Chain link
    Cable ties
    Duct tape
    Extra/ waterproof layer and buff( cold start, and potential rain)
    Energy/isotonic drinks
    Water
    Energy bars and gels
    "normal food", sandwich/ sausage rolls etc cos the energy stuff can get a bit sweet and sickly after a while
    Basic first aidkit
    ...much of this could be spread between a few of you but we all went self sufficient as we often ride alone anyways
    Thankfully we hardly needed any of that lot but it would be gutting to miss finishing for a minor mechanical etc

Kit wise... Comfort is key as whatever happens it's a looooong time in the saddle.
  • Ello guys...

I did the L2B 2010 - found it to be a very enjoyable day, great weather, good riding, no problems technical or otherwise on the day, aside from a minor stack :)

I do agree with the Downslink part of it being long and boring, can be a real sapper that part...just a case of getting some good pace on and getting through it....Thunderbarrow hill did me - getting up it obviously! Going down on Shoreham side was wicked and fast, and hitting the finish line at the end was quite a feeling....

I created a thread for the 2010 ride here;

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... highlight=

lots of relevant info in there and some good advice on what to pack for the day etc....

I am still considering whether to do this one in 2011. If the 100 mile SDW one comes up, I think I may opt for that one instead this year, just for the challenge.

Am already in training lol - running the London Marathon in April, so getting on my wheels when I can just to break up the monotony of running!

Will keep an eye out, see what the BHF do finalise on for 2011...

have fun all....
  • hi, great info obove cheers fella,

Does anyone - who done race last year or earlyier have a route card or something a map
    OS would be great, even if you were to just drawin marker pen on a map and send it to me would be great

Really want to no the exact route start to finish as i want to do it January some when to set my pace/time to beat

DAn[/list][/list][/code]
  • Layzee,

Edit,

I have to 2009 ride route that someone kindly sent to me when prepping for 2010 ride - same route.

It is in pdf format. send me yer email addy - I will forward it on to you.
  • i did the ride last year, all i took was a spare tube, tyre levers, 5 snap links and some spare chain, puncture repair kit, mini pump and a chain tool. took 2 bananas, 4 snickers, 2 kit kats, fig rolls and sandwiches, and a hoodie,

as it turns out i wasnt very fit, so the climbs all killed me, but i just walked just slightly off the trail and it was fine, and then the runs down were brilliant so was really good fun :)

id really reccomend the ride for anyone, was brilliant fun.
  • mystery h
    mystery h Posts: 154
    just registered tonight, ride is back on the website for 24/09/11 :D
  • mystery h wrote:
    just registered tonight, ride is back on the website for 24/09/11 :D

Me too.....

Are you really coming down from Warrington for this event?

Damn that's dedication 8) . Good for you dude and see you on the day maybe.
  • seanoevil
    seanoevil Posts: 142
    registered...enjoyed it last year, so why not! gonna get some of the unift fellas I know onnit too this year....

Gotta invest in a decent sports camcorder for this too this year...
  • As someone relatively new to both cycling and definetly anything relating to off roading but I saw this event and it looks awesome! I've read through the 2010 forum relating to the event and even though the middle bit sounds boring, it still sounds quite a challenge. I am hoping to rope in a few mates because I've done charity events alone and they can be very boring. I'd hope that the BHF would promote this event as they do the on road event but we'll see.
    Fat dude trying to get fit on a much loved 2010 Fuji Nevada
  • I've now signed up and talked a few of my friends into it as well after following you lot on here last year.

Can't wait :)
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    pemsey wrote:
    According BHF East registration should now be open:
    http://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/events/view-event.aspx?ps=1000981

Saved in favourites until payday.. lol, money is really tight this month.. :cry:

I'll be doing it for sure though, I've wanted to for a while now, but always missed registration for one reason or another :( Have done the L2B road version a few times, and thats always a laugh (especially on a Singlespeed jump bike), albeit a bit hectic, I'm hoping that lesser numbers will mean more fun!

Sadly, most of my mates have stopped riding, deciding that fishing is the future :roll: So I'll be on my lonesome. If any of you guys see a bloody, sweaty mess laying around anywhere, wrapped in an 06 Spesh Enduro, please help.. I'll provide you with cake if so :lol:
  • Best of luck with this event. It.s a real buzz crossing the finish line! Are we talking cream cake? :D
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    richvass wrote:
    Are we talking cream cake? :D

Absolutely, is there any better cake? Tempting to attach a child trailer, and instead of a child, just fill it with cake.. :)