Stoopid noob question

Nifer
Nifer Posts: 102
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
If I have a pair of unpadded tights, and a pair of padded shorts, which one do I wear over which?

:oops:

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Tights over shorts. At the risk of starting another 'commando or not' debate, the pad is designed to work against the skin.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Or...

cut a hole in the crotch of the tights and wear them under the shorts. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    There is no such thing as a stupid question.
    There is such a thing as a stupid newbie.

No seriously, the pads are used a underwear, against the skin. Wash after every use unless you like saddle sore infections (you can ride to work and back from work without a wash but dont re-use next day). You can get tights with built-in padding worn without shorts but you still have to wash them. The tights over shorts ensures that you can use tights several times between washing.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    MichaelW wrote:

No seriously, the pads are used a underwear, against the skin. Wash after every use unless you like saddle sore infections (you can ride to work and back from work without a wash but dont re-use next day). You can get tights with built-in padding worn without shorts but you still have to wash them. The tights over shorts ensures that you can use tights several times between washing.

Whilst I admire your cleanliness, I get a weeks commuting out of a pair of shorts. I occasionally use the odd dab of Assos ar$e cream and all is well.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Nifer
    Thanks all. I had assumed shorts under tights (and my husband does go commando), but I saw a pic in a magazine of some bird wearing what looked like shorts over tights - perhaps they were just leg warmers.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I wear shorts over tights, but that's because it's my tights are padded and my shorts aren't.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Nifer
    ^ Good point
  • Butterd2 wrote:
    MichaelW wrote:

Whilst I admire your cleanliness, I get a weeks commuting out of a pair of shorts. I occasionally use the odd dab of Assos ar$e cream and all is well.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
  • Butterd2 wrote:
    MichaelW wrote:

please change before the next morpeth visit...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    All these silly people who ride their bikes in normal clothes* without putting ointment on they bottoms - they don't know what they're missing,,,

* You know - those used for walking**
    ** oh bummer - just found out about nordic walking, actually you do need special gear just to walk!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Butterd2 wrote:
    MichaelW wrote:

please change before the next morpeth visit...
    The liberal use of chamois cream may provide an alternative provenance for his username ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    In lieu of Assos cream (expensive) you could use Sudacrem (cheap) (yes, it is also used for nappy rash in babies)

As for washing the pad - depends on how many miles, if it's not many then I'd say less washing required. Mind you, I wouldn't wear the same pants all week :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

It's just a hill. Get over it.