Its Not About The Bike

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Already discussed a bit here:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12746295

My opinion? Depends entirely on the type of riding you're doing.

Over the last year I've ridden an SS; a 1980's steel and a carbon steed on the commute. Times are similar on each. It's all about the traffic and lights.

For a lap of RP I can go around 30s faster on my planet-x than on my steel bike, on which I can go about a similar bit faster than the SS.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • the whole point of getting a new bike is not that it's loads faster for most people, but its nice owning something you're proud of and enjoy using.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Well, the difference in performance between a top of the range race bike and a bottom of the range race bike is fairly minor overall.

Yet, it can make a big difference in terms of comfort, handling and reactivity.

If instead you compare a race bike to a mountain bike, you will definitely see a difference.

But the rider is also responsible to take advantage of that difference.

If the rider is someone who regularly pushes the wrong gear (as in, rides badlym wrong cadence for his muscle-skeletal system etc.), it doesn't really matter what bike s/he rides.

But someone who has really honed the pedaling technique, the weight balancing and power delivery, a better bike, as in with better parts that perform better for the particular job at hand, will find a greater difference.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    fnegroni wrote:
    Well, the difference in performance between a top of the range race bike and a bottom of the range race bike is fairly minor overall.

Law of diminishing returns, ennit?

You spend £x to buy a bike (e.g. a BSO) and you are in a much better position than if you had no bike at all.
    You spend £2x on a better bike (e.g. an entry level road bike) and you may go faster, but you won't go twice as fast.
    You spend £3x on an even better bike (e.g. some carbon bling) and you may be marginally faster again, but not much of a difference when you consider the money you've spent.

The same goes with quality issues of just about anything (cars, hi-fi, computers, cameras etc).
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!