My new Fenix LD20 Light

BDFun
BDFun Posts: 67
edited January 2012 in Commuting general
As my Cateye EL-320 is pretty terrible at illuminating the road, I decided to buy another light. After many hours of looking through posts on here, the suggest was to either buy a several hundred pound light, buy something from Asia (and wait a while), or get something around the £50 which is just a torch.

I opted for the latter and went for a Fenix LD20 torch. I thought I would post a comparison shot between my Cateye EL-320 and my new torch. I am only using a phone camera, and it is significantly darkened the photo. It is much brighter than it looks. It also doesn't help that I'm only about 1.5m away from the wall when I took the photo.

Cateye EL-320:
img20101211211853.jpg

Fenix LD20 in turbo mode:
img20101211211904.jpg

A shot of the torch (rubbish quality I know :():
img20101211214043.jpg

As I ordered from Fenix directly, they gave this accessory set away for free as it is Christmas. I tried out each attachment and they seem to work:

img20101211214021.jpg

Very happy with the torch so far as it is extremely bright and illuminates the road in front of me clearly. All this without the need to spend a vast sum of money.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Be wary of battery life in turbo mode. I'm getting about 5 days life on a 40 minute round trip on turbo flash, or epiletic fit flash as I've christened it :lol: but the cars do notice you when in TF mode and also handy for a mis-aim into the wing/rear view mirrors when somebody cuts you up.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Its a great light - and very robust - but if you ride on unlit roads - get the p7 torch - it works out cheaper than the fenix but its about three times brighter - its amazing.
  • BDFun
    BDFun Posts: 67
    Yeah the supplied batteries were almost depleted when they reached me so only just lasted my commute home. I've bought some 2700mah rechargables which should last a days worth of commuting :)

Yes I did read about the P7 torches but it all got a little hard to follow as to which particular P7 torch was good as I read one was deceptively named to fool you into buying something that just wasn't as bright as the main models.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    I swapped the Cateye EL-320 for a Fenix LD20 after struggling on the lanes in the dark, and the difference is striking.

On the High setting (not turbo) I get at least two days of 30mins each way before my 2500mAh pair dwindles. Turbo mode is there for when the road is wet and I need the extra brightness. Always remember to carry a spare pair of fully charged AAs! I've been taking the light off and bringing it in the house overnight as I'm sure they drain quicker in the cold.

@redvee - yeah, that turbo flash mode is manic! :shock:
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • cougie
    Original Review is here : http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/mountain_bi ... w_led.html

I'm sure someone can tell you which of their many torches is the best to get now.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    I would advise against using turbo flash on the road. You will a. piss people off and b. it has a blinding effect which means all that people can see is the light and not the road.
  • cougie
    Turbo flash is a little antisocial on the road. SOS flash is probably enough - wish they did a proper sensible flash though. Maybe they could explore this.
  • OK, but why do all these ultra-bright lights come with batteries? I have a perfectly good centre roller dynamo (Union) that will provide free volts theoretically forever, but I can't seem to find anyone who will extoll a REALLY bright light to fit the dynamo... Buying batteries is a pain, and re-chargables only slightly less so....
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    What's the output of your generator?
    Can you stabilise it to DC and 3V for a 2xAA or even to 6V for one of the 6V units?
    A mate has adapted one of the 6V units to work with a 7.2V RC Car pack, apaprently it lasted long enough for 10 under the ben.

I've got an LD20 but want another one, also need to identify a way of mounting them on the loop of my new Low Rider rack (Which i've still to finish fitting).
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • nwallace wrote:
    What's the output of your generator?
    Can you stabilise it to DC and 3V for a 2xAA or even to 6V for one of the 6V units?
    A mate has adapted one of the 6V units to work with a 7.2V RC Car pack, apaprently it lasted long enough for 10 under the ben .

I was wondering about that too. Perhaps I should shift this to a different thread so as not to hijack this one?
  • I've missed the boat a bit on this thread, but just wanted to add support to the LD20. I've got last years model with out the seemingly mental epilepsy-causing turbo flash mode - but it's awesome.

Bought mine cos it was getting dark a lot faster than I realised and I couldn't wait for overseas postage from HK. Used on completely unlit roads over dartmoor throughout last winter and it was awesome.

If I need another light then I'd probably get the same again. Given how infrequently I require a torch (why would you?), it's useful to have a really good torch light if I need knocking about too.

Rechargeable batteries aren't really that much of a pita. Besides, they're a great excuse to buy a fancy new charger that you really have no idea how to use...
  • leodis75
    leodis75 Posts: 184
    I am still unsure which to get the LD10 R5 or the LD20 R5, the LD20 seems quite long for a bike but does have better light.

Anyone got any experience of the Ld10 or simlar?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd get one of the aforementioned SSC P7 eqiupped torches or CREE XML - these are three times the output of the Fenix for a third the price! See the sticky thread in the MTB buying section for links.

Or if you just want a all in one set up that works straight from the off:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/t6-waterpr ... -904482510
  • leodis75
    The problem with buying cheap from China is that most people they only last a couple of months and they don’t give specific burn times. I did look at some of these on eBay last night and was nearly suckered into buying on or two, then I remember all the times I have bought cheap and ended up buying twice.

I will be using the torch for walking and hiking as well so need a product I can trust, if I was using it just for mountain biking and with a higher risk of damage I might think about the eBay job.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I bought the Fenix L2D a few years ago which I think is the precursor to the L20D... It's still going strong having been through wind, rain, hail and snow and having been dropped a fair few times. Previously I had 2 cheapo Tesco CREE torches but they both developed bad contacts internally within a week and would randomly switch off whilst I was riding. I assume the Tesco ones were simply not built to resist the road buzz.... Before that I had Cat Eye lights which are much dimmer and I found that after a short while the flimsy plastic bracket would fail and the light would fall into the road and get run over.... Not sure how well built the Dealextreme jobs are...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've also got a Tesco one, it's barely been used and lived in my car as an 'emergency' torch. When I needed it it kept flickering! MY P7 and C1 from DX are much better, used for off roading and commuting for 2 winters without any problems. I pre-emptively checked all the contacts were tight every few weeks (just a ten second check per torch, screw in the 'capsule' in the end cap) and they're still going strong.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • supersonic
    leodis75 wrote:
    The problem with buying cheap from China is that most people they only last a couple of months and they don’t give specific burn times. I did look at some of these on eBay last night and was nearly suckered into buying on or two, then I remember all the times I have bought cheap and ended up buying twice.

I will be using the torch for walking and hiking as well so need a product I can trust, if I was using it just for mountain biking and with a higher risk of damage I might think about the eBay job.

It depends on the torch - there are hundreds available from China, and Fenix is just one of the Chinese brands. The UK importer does offer you a bit more in the way of warranty, but you can get other brands from the UK too - DX even have a UK warehouse for some of their stuff so you have complete UK consumer rights.

The Fenix LD20 runtime at 1.3 hours with 180 lumens is very poor, and one problem is the AA batteries - 18650 cells are so much better for this application. My P7 torch puts out 500 lumens on high and lasts an hour, and about 150 lumens on medium and lasts three hours at least, with just ONE 18650 rechargable cell.

If you want a good torch when out, look no further than this (from the UK):

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/fandyfire- ... -904491136

Has been measured at over 2000 lumens! I bought one recently, is absolutely incredible. Has a medium and low mode if you don't want to set the trees on fire, and though bulky, will still mount to the bars of your bike. Is still cheaper than the Fenix, and the quality is spot on.
  • supersonic wrote:
    leodis75 wrote:

It depends on the torch - there are hundreds available from China, and Fenix is just one of the Chinese brands. The UK importer does offer you a bit more in the way of warranty, but you can get other brands from the UK too - DX even have a UK warehouse for some of their stuff so you have complete UK consumer rights.

The Fenix LD20 runtime at 1.3 hours with 180 lumens is very poor, and one problem is the AA batteries - 18650 cells are so much better for this application. My P7 torch puts out 500 lumens on high and lasts an hour, and about 150 lumens on medium and lasts three hours at least, with just ONE 18650 rechargable cell.

If you want a good torch when out, look no further than this (from the UK):

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/fandyfire- ... -904491136

Has been measured at over 2000 lumens! I bought one recently, is absolutely incredible. Has a medium and low mode if you don't want to set the trees on fire, and though bulky, will still mount to the bars of your bike. Is still cheaper than the Fenix, and the quality is spot on.

1.3 hrs is rather pessimistic even the old rechargeable get close to that, newer ones get close to the 2hr claimed runtime.
  • leodis75
    180 lumens 2 hour runtime on the LD20 is more than I need for commuting, as I mentioned if I was on trails then I might need 2,000,000,000 lumens but I dont, I need a reliable LED torch which is proven to work at a high level for a long period. I will be on 91 lumens (6hrs) which is ideal for my commute and not cause anyone problems, also AA is a lot easier to get hold of and its all I need.

I could have got the TK11 but couldn’t be bothered paying over the odds on C123 or the constant recharge of the 18650 just for a few extra lumes which I do not need. Where do you draw the line at road safety with lights?
  • supersonic
    You said walking and hiking too? At least with the more powerful torches you can turn them down. On low mode I get over 10 hours from my UF P7 torch. In the end is what suits your needs best, but having tested the Fenix I personally found it poor value and no better constructed or reliable then any of the other torches I have.
  • leodis75
    supersonic wrote:
    You said walking and hiking too? At least with the more powerful torches you can turn them down. On low mode I get over 10 hours from my UF P7 torch. In the end is what suits your needs best, but having tested the Fenix I personally found it poor value and no better constructed or reliable then any of the other torches I have.

Fair play, might try a P7 then.
  • supersonic
    This is the newer version of the one I have:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire- ... 8650-50315

A bit more expensive than the smaller bodied units, but the larger size handles the hi mode heat better, and has the D Bin emitter which is more efficient.

If you still don't think you need the power then there is this little unit:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/uniquefire ... 4500-30985

Takes an AA battery or a 14500 cell so you have the choice of power source, is small and light, and with 6 mode regulated output will be sure get one you like! For less than a tenner and still a reasonable output on high, is a very good little torch for a tenner.
  • Headhuunter
    My Fenix takes AA batts which do run down v quickly. I've got an "intelligent" charger which helps but I see that most of these torches take li ion batts - 18650 batteries. These look like AA batteries, are they the same size? Would they charge in a AA batt intelligent charger? Where do you get the best 18650 batts and chargers from?
  • My Fenix takes AA batts which do run down v quickly. I've got an "intelligent" charger which helps but I see that most of these torches take li ion batts - 18650 batteries. These look like AA batteries, are they the same size? Would they charge in a AA batt intelligent charger? Where do you get the best 18650 batts and chargers from?

I think the short answer is no.

18650 are li ion batteries so have a fair bit more power.

This said half decent rechargeable AA should give close to 2hrs. even my old ones get 1hr 30mins or so.
  • Headhuunter
    My Fenix takes AA batts which do run down v quickly. I've got an "intelligent" charger which helps but I see that most of these torches take li ion batts - 18650 batteries. These look like AA batteries, are they the same size? Would they charge in a AA batt intelligent charger? Where do you get the best 18650 batts and chargers from?

This said half decent rechargeable AA should give close to 2hrs. even my old ones get 1hr 30mins or so.

So you can use AAs in place of 18650 batts? Albeit that they last for a shorter amount of time
  • My Fenix takes AA batts which do run down v quickly. I've got an "intelligent" charger which helps but I see that most of these torches take li ion batts - 18650 batteries. These look like AA batteries, are they the same size? Would they charge in a AA batt intelligent charger? Where do you get the best 18650 batts and chargers from?

So you can use AAs in place of 18650 batts? Albeit that they last for a shorter amount of time

Two AA give 2.5v ( rechargeable )

One 18650 pushes out 3.7v

size wise 18650 is bigger than one AA but not by much.

18650 tends to be used singularly in a torch where as AA as a pair.

in other words no.
  • cougie
    Yes you need to get the proper batteries and charger. I've got mine from dealextreme and they've lasted me well.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103

18650 batteries are bigger than AA batteries - (your torch doesn't accept 18650's) - if you're looking for some decent rechargeable AA batteries though, go for some:

Vapextech 2900 mah

or

Sanyo Eneloops

Both can be bought on Ebay UK. NiMh chargers can also be bought on Ebay UK for 5 quid upwards for an adequate one. Regards more powerful torches, most of them currently run on 18650 li-ions - the XML-T6 501/502B or XML-T6 C8 all make perfectly adequate bike lights. Just make sure to charge the batteries regularly though (I charge mine after every ride). Xtar does a decent 18650 charger, (£14.99 on Ebay), and TorchyTheBatteryBoy sells decent 18650 cells on Ebay UK. (Yezl 2400's Xtar 2600's, or if you've got a multimeter, Sanyo 2600's or Panasonic 3100's). Trustfire flames (2400 maH) are also great 18650's.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Yes, I use Vapextech 2900mah NiMHs - excellent. As for an NiMH charger, make sure its a smart charger, and one that isn't toofast (the cheap fast ones cook the batteries and reduce life quite quickly).

I recommend the Vapex LCD World charger (about £15 - it says "Ultra Fast, but it actually takes 4.5 hrs for 4 AA's), or the Technoline BL700 (about £30); the Technoline BC1000 (about £43) or the MAHA Wizard One (about £49). I use the MAHA, but of the others, the first will be kind to your batteries, the other hree have many more functions such as break in, discharge, analyse and refresh functions. I refresh my cells every 6 months or so and throw out those that dip below 1900mah capacity.