Spectating Alpe D'Huez stage - Camping around Bourg D'Oisans

mattybeck
mattybeck Posts: 135
edited February 2011 in Pro race
Hoping to spend a few days in Bourg D'Oisans at the foot of D'Huez during tour week.
Might prove problematic getting into a campsite - Can anybody advise if other, temporary, campsites with facilities such showers are set up in or around Bourg D'Oisans for Tour week and, if yes, when one should arrive in the town in order to get in?

Thanks

Matthew

Comments

• Get there early and book in advance. 2 or 3 camp sites at the bottom of the climb. Plenty of people camp on the hill but not many washrooms there!
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    mattybeck wrote:
    Hoping to spend a few days in Bourg D'Oisans at the foot of D'Huez during tour week.
    Might prove problematic getting into a campsite - Can anybody advise if other, temporary, campsites with facilities such showers are set up in or around Bourg D'Oisans for Tour week and, if yes, when one should arrive in the town in order to get in?

Thanks

Matthew
    I think it would prove VERY problematic,as they will all be booked up now.
    No probs with wild camping,but,no one's going to provide temporary toilet facilities for you.
    There are a few campsites about 5 miles towards grenoble,at a large village (think called Allemont,on the route to the col du glandon/croix de fer),& you may have a bit more luck there,but,be real quick
    so many cols,so little time!
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 477
    if you arent hell bent on camping then there are loads of pretty good chalets to stay in, we stayed in one for the marmotte which was dirt cheap, did great food and was good and clean. think it was called chambois - PM me if interested and i will dig out the number.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    A lot of the campsites around Bourg d'Oisans looked hideously busy when we were there last time round, I'll bet it was a tak just getting a shower in the morning.

We stayed in an apartment connected to this campsite http://www.lepreoula.com/ it's on bed 16 so really handy to watch the race, and they don't overfill the campsite. It's really clean as a result. Be aware that a lot of campsites will want you to pay/book for the whole week, maybe even two weeks, they wanted this last time round even though everyone was gone within a few days.

I'm missing the tour this tiome round, but will be out the following week for the triathlon.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Booked mine the week they announced it, and loads were already booked up... we're camping...
  • Thanks all.
    Got my French (lucky) colleague to phone Lepreoula (above) and am now booked in Wednesday to Saturday.

Cheap as chips too!

Matthew
  • Moomaloid
    Did u get a hotel/chalet or campaign Matty?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    For others there are two at the very base of the climb that I ve forgotten the name of now (t'was at least 10 years ago). You could also try up the valley toward Venosc or in the smaller villages as they have places for climbers/walkers during the summer

Good luck and have a good trip! One day i ll get my a**over there!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Moomaloid wrote:
    Booked mine the week they announced it, and loads were already booked up... we're camping...

Question is, will it live up to your amazing experience last time? :P
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    ddraver wrote:
    For others there are two at the very base of the climb that I ve forgotten the name of now (t'was at least 10 years ago).
    Rencontre du soleil is one of those (I stayed there this august) & am informed it's booked up
    There's la Piscine next to it & cascade directly opposite,& am sure they'll be also booked solid
    so many cols,so little time!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    mattybeck wrote:
    Thanks all.
    Got my French (lucky) colleague to phone Lepreoula (above) and am now booked in Wednesday to Saturday.

Cheap as chips too!

Matthew

Nice one. As far as campsites go in France it's a bit more basic, a field with a toilet block, campsites tend to be a bit more grand in France, but the view is amazing, and you've only got about 50yds to walk out and watch the race.

The owners are lovely too.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid wrote:

Question is, will it live up to your amazing experience last time? :P

Ha! indeed... weather permitting.. can't be much worse really, however, we are going more prepared this time. How did ya house move go? and have ya got ya wheels back yet?
  • Hello,
    We have a small campsite just 4kms before Bourg d Oisans. We open up some extra fields dring both the Tour and the Marmotte. The campsite facilitities are available for you to use. Although we give preference to bookings of a minimum of 7 nights we are a safe place to turn up to if you want to take a chance without booking. Ususally we are a great quiet little place to stay, as featured in the cool Camping France book. However, everywhere goes potty during the Tour, to peace and quiet goes out of the window!
    PLease see our web site www.fermenoemie.com. I hope you find this useful
    We are open from the end of April through to the end of October. We also have furnished Bell tents, mobile homes and 4star apartments taht are available for winter ski too.