People touching your bike

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
What is it about bicycles? I get people picking mine up to check the weight, prodding the belt, moving it if they think it's i'n their way, leaning their POS against it, checking the power of the brake etc etc And I'm a six foot two lump of a bloke sat three feet from the cycle. Actually had someone sit on it the other day to check the geometry!!! Is this a Wales thing?
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• kill them with sticks and fire.
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Dude you don't know how much this p1ss's me off. Mine is locked up in work but is in full view within a type of conservatory. We have a lot of contractors in at the moment and it just seems that every time one of them walks past it they have to have a mess. My work mates know better as I've b*******d a few of them for messing with the gears etc. You don't see me walk up to one of their cars open the door get in and have a mess about in that do you. "KEEP YOUR DIRTY LITTLE HANDS TO YOURSELF"

Rant over!
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I was with someone that done exactly this to someone's bike so I said something like - "dude, that's not your bike, put it down", and they just didn't get what the big deal was. I guess it's something that non-cyclists don't get.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • I like that people are interested in my bike. I don't mind them having a bit of a mess with it!
  • I prefer if they don't lick it. Well, they can lick the chainstays, if the road has been grimy. Keeps the chrome shiny.

I think your bikes have too many shiny things like STI. Return to downtube shifters or single speed, and you're golden. People ask a lot of questions about my Brompton, but I've yet to have anyone mess with it.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • I'd take it as a compliment.

In the MTB community it's common to ask a complete stranger if you can try their bike. Queue a quick punt around the car park whilst vigorously testing the suspension. Upon return, always "yeah sweet bike mate "
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    If its someone who rides bikes then im fine with it. But when its someone who may try and knock it and say oh its only a bike and pick it up im not happy!!
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    andy83 wrote:
    If its someone who rides bikes then im fine with it. But when its someone who may try and knock it and say oh its only a bike and pick it up im not happy!!

Yep totally agree with this. If its a bikie that's looking at it they seem to respect it and don't mess with it. As someone else has already said it seems to be the non cyclist that like to look with their hands and not with their eyes. I don't have a problem with letting someone have a blast on it, just don't mess with my bike.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Maybe we should fit something like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

I once read about taping razor blades to the underside of the grips to stop folk half incing your bike as well....................
    FCN 3/5/9
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Even better !!!

have this anti theft / touch my bike device installed
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJHAW8kb ... re=related
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Chiggy
    Chiggy Posts: 261
    Toucha my bike, I breaka ya face.
  • I'd take it as a compliment.

In the MTB community it's common to ask a complete stranger if you can try their bike. Queue a quick punt around the car park whilst vigorously testing the suspension. Upon return, always "yeah sweet bike mate "

That is "hoping" they return, honestly....
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html