Paris Roubaix sportive

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
Is it on in 2011? And how do you enter it? Thanks.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    10th June 2012

http://www.vc-roubaix-cyclo.fr/site/

This is the one in June not the ASO "new" one that is on in April for first time :wink:
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • Details of the ASO event on Saturday, April 9 can be found here http://www.parisroubaixchallenge.com/index_us.html

- 162km from Saint Quentin to Roubaix.
    - Timed over the 147km of closed roads up to Carrefour de l’Arbre.
    - 32km of cobbles
    - 3 aid stations
    - Limited to 3,000 direct entries and 1,000 via tour operators
    - Entry opens Monday, Dec 20

All for a mere €75 if you're one of the first 1,500 to enter, €95 if you're not. The shuttle back to the start is an extra €34.

Those of us who have done VC Roubaix's bi-annual event in June will no doubt be a little surprised by this cost. Those who have ridden the etape will not.
  • Details of the ASO event on Saturday, April 9 can be found here http://www.parisroubaixchallenge.com/index_us.html

- 32km of cobbles
    - 3 aid stations

All for a mere €75 if you're one of the first 1,500 to enter, €95 if you're not. The shuttle back to the start is an extra €34.

Those of us who have done VC Roubaix's bi-annual event in June will no doubt be a little surprised by this cost. Those who have ridden the etape will not.

It's not even the real route... pathetic!

My advice is wait for 2012 for the real thing
    left the forum March 2023
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    id love to give this a go, but wouldn't it destroy your bike?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gsk82 wrote:
    id love to give this a go, but wouldn't it destroy your bike?

Depends on the bike...
    Most frames will survive undamaged, including many carbon frames... it's the wheels you have to pe attenton to...
    It's not a good idea to use a light wheelset or a set with 16 spokes or similar nonsense. Traditional 32 spokes wheels are the best for PR... of course you are better off using 25 mm tyres and 90 PSI
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    IME it's the rider who breaks first - most simply don't have the strength or stamina to endure the level of suffering. Most mechanicals / breakages are simply due to poor preparation / maintenance - but don't ride anything superlight / fragile like carbon wheels and lightweight tyres.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

- 32km of cobbles
    - 3 aid stations

It's not even the real route... pathetic!

My advice is wait for 2012 for the real thing

Not sure I would agree with this sentiment. It is 160km with virtually all the Pavé (32km) of the full race, it cuts out the first 100km and starts at Saint Quinten - and will be tough enough for me thank you :lol:

I'm booked in and doing the 160km Ronde Van Vlanderen the week before so I hope I will be up to it; I should state that I am not a hardened veteren having only taken up cycling last year at 46 years old so the above may be true for those who are regulars on these adventures. Whatever I am sure it will be fun and shake the intestines up enough for most people!
    "Pain is only weakness leaving the body"
  • The full pave' is 52 Km and the route is not the original, a good 10 sections are left out, so it's not the Paris Roubaix, it's a ride inspired by the PR.
    Considering the cost, as opposed to the risible entry fee of the real event (20 euro), I really don't see the attractiveness...

That said, it's still going to be tough
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Can you enter direct? Seems ASO's website is pointing you in the direction of the 'official' travel partners, with the cheapest package in the region of £500!
    The times I've ridden the VC Roubaix Cyclo, I've driven over on the Saturday afternoon, stopped for steak, frites and beer at a friendly restaurant and then kipped in the car for a couple of hours before the bus leaves Roubaix at 2am - Yes, it's basic, no support but it doesn't spoil the enjoyment of the event.

IMO 32km is not quite the 'real thing' - having 160km in your legs and hitting Arenbereg, Orchies and Vertain in quick succession in about 40km is the killer. OK, I'm tempted to get the chance to ride the event in April, but get the feeling this is catering for the 'Rapha' crowd?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • darren H
    darren H Posts: 122
    Monty dog I fancy doing it that way. You sound like my type of rider.
    I def would be Kipping in the van. So do you just enter and get the bus from roubaix.

What's the situation with leaving your van at roubaix and more importantly did you have a shower at the end.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Kipping in a van would be preferable to staying in the Formule 1 in Compiegne - what a toilet!
    Le Blaireau (1)