Power of N+1

londonlivvy
londonlivvy Posts: 644
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
I appear to have just ordered a new bike. Justification as follows:

First of all I bought a Sirrus Elite. It was fine for going to and from work and down the towpath to the pub.

I then got into cycling and commited to cycle to Paris - a mighty long way on a hybrid. So I bought a bargainous 2nd hand race bike from a mate (a Monoc TC compact 2002 version - it even has the elusive Campag Daytona parts) as I wasn't sure I'd still like this cycling malarky after I got to Paris. It's great fun to ride, but said mate is 6ft and I am not. So it has always been too big for me. The adjustable stem which means I can actually reach the brakes makes it comically twitchy.

I then bought an Orbea Orca, which I LOVE, but which is saved for best. Partly cos I wouldn't feel safe parking it outside meetings/friends' houses but also cos I have the fear that carbon melts in the rain (this may not be true, of course).

So really I needed a new commuting / training bike that actually fitted. Particularly as I am going to be training for the Marmotte and therefore 2011 will be mostly spent cycling. And so I have ordered an Orbea Aqua which should fit, as well as be leaveable-in-public.

As I live in a small flat in London I shall now have to get selling and get this down to just two Orbeas. If anyone's interested in the others, let me know!

All encouragement / approval of multiple bike purchases much appreciated. I am feeling in shock (as is my credit card).

Comments

• ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    I though the rule was any new bike purchase = good thing.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited December 2010
    You have now taken the crown of most awesome (and desirable) female on the bikeradar commuting section.

There I've said it.

Yes I'm looking at you! You know who you are.... muppet :shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I'm getting your next challenge will be ride to Wales.

Two whales. Orcas. Geddit?

I'll get my coat.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Justification is not a requirement of N + 1 - well done - lovely bike
  • Sad, but I read the title and thought "Oooh! (N+1)^p, where p is a positive integer. Why's Livvy asking about that, I wonder. Looks interesting [sic] to me..."

It's been a long year.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    As long as it's not a single speedy thing, or a Brompton, then it is a good thing and should be applauded. Think of all the economic activity your profligacy has generated in these constrained times.

It's just a hill. Get over it.