Raleigh Max Singlespeed on a budget

lastwords
lastwords Posts: 304
edited November 2012 in Your mountain bikes
Bought an old raleigh off ebay for £50 as a commuter and converted it to singlespeed.

I ended up taking it away on holiday with me and really enjoyed riding it but really wanted a better from brake so i have uprgraded the front end with new forks, stem, bar, wheel and of course a hydraulic brake.

Nothing expensive on the bike all told probably owes me £250 but its nice to ride easy to maintain and i dont have to worry about it when locked up outside work.

When finances allow i plan to chain the crank and BB it still has a loose bearing BB.
Also fit a smaller chain ring to make it easier offroad.

2617527550054146164S600x600Q85.jpg

2329186710054146164S600x600Q85.jpg

Comments

• to be fair... thats not bad at all :)

I'd be very happy with that as a hack/"something different bike"!
  • Awesome! My fist bike was a Raleigh Max. You seem to have done a better job building it than Raleigh ever did lol.
  • lol looked like this when i bought it

2559271140054146164S600x600Q85.jpg
  • hi....I know this is a VERY old post but I'm interested to find out how you managed to fit straight rigid forks to the MAX given that they have a one inch steerer tube...? This is something I've been wanting to do to my beloved max for a while now but cannot find any straight rigid forks with a one inch steerer, so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.... :roll:

Many thanks,

Daz
  • 70\ʹspenguin
    70\ʹspenguin Posts: 957
    edited November 2012
    kez1970 wrote:
    hi....I know this is a VERY old post but I'm interested to find out how you managed to fit straight rigid forks to the MAX given that they have a one inch steerer tube...? This is something I've been wanting to do to my beloved max for a while now but cannot find any straight rigid forks with a one inch steerer, so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.... :roll:

Many thanks,

Daz

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=82&
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    It looks like he used a 1" Exotic fork. Plenty of options here:

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=82&

Beaten to it, and without warning too! :lol:
  • Yes exotic forks had to modify the headset to work with threadless headset standard as the MAX uses a bmx headset, i had to machine the threads off the top race of the bmx headset then used 1inch spacers and topcap

I still have the bike but it is now a commuter/shop bike with origional forks and a pannier rack :)
  • WOW....thanks for the speedy reply chaps!!! this is something i'll definitely consider in the future, providing this max hangs around longer than my beloved, dearly departed...Anyway, back to the forks: So, if I got some forks from carboncycles together with a 1 inch threadless Aheadset (new stem etc) I'd be ready to go...or am I over simplifying?
  • Front brake may need changing depending on the fork you buy, a v brake fork and v brakes would work
  • yeah...I currently have V brakes rather than cantis...think this was a later max by all accounts, there's just something I love about these frames and having seen the pic of yours with straight forks I was completely sold on the idea...
  • Clean and tidy chap nice