Replica team kits

mclarent
mclarent Posts: 784
edited December 2010 in Road buying advice
Has anyone bought one of those cheap replica kits from asia off eBay or the web? What's it like? The pad as crap as I expect? What material is it and how is the quality?
"And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
- eccolafilosofiadelpedale

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    To a certain degree, you get what you pay for.

I've bought some in the past. Not bad for the money. Would rather have the 'real' stuff, but not always affordable!

It won't fall apart after the first ride. Not is it Assos quality. Falls somewhere in between.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Sizes come up a little smaller than you think, but for the money - great value.

TBH the shorts are as comfy as my assos ones, but I dont think they'll last as long.
    Seeing as kits change every year now, and sometimes 2 or 3 times in a season - I'm more than happy with my cheap Cervelo kit. I'd have been less than happy paying £80 for a top and it being out of date within a month or so.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Have a read of my review: -

http://www.velonuts.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb2 ... 1283004004

Depends who you are buying from, I had a good experience.
  • Chiggy
    Chiggy Posts: 261
    Is one obliged to buy a bike to match the replica kit, or will full HTC Columbia kit go OK on an old Raleigh Olympus?
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    Nice review Velonutter!

I'm unsure how I feel about team kit, it's nice to look like the pros, but if I'm only riding half as fast as them, I feel a bit stupid!

Still for £35 it's hard to go wrong.
  • mclarent
    I checked with one supplier, they said they will happily mix and match kits and sizes, so I was thinking of getting some plain-ish bibs which (worst case) I can use for training, combined with a Cervelo short sleeved shirt (2009) which I can use for commuting. I also really fancy a Lampre shirt, in the black giro. An official long sleeved one is £65, or I can get a replica with bib tights for £35...

TBF, the official one does look much nicer (although it may just be the photographer), so maybe I'll stick it on my christmas list and see if I get lucky!
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    i bought the long sleeve cervelo thermal jersey and the lampre black top. really disappointed with them but i guess i got what i paid for. i found the thermal material quite strange and it gets heavy and cold with sweat or any other moisture.

for the money they are ok, but i wont be buying any more.
  • mclarent
    That's a shame.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I bought a Trek kit and to be honest it was poor quality. The colours ran on the first wash at the reccomended temperatures. The white shorts were virtually see-through meaning I had to wear something underneath them to avoid being reported for a public order offence. (Cue lots of student anarchists buying the same kit.) If I was buying a team replica kit now, I'd go for the real thing, otherwise I'll make do with named manufacturers from the LBS or ProBike.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.