Helmets ?

Fireblade96
Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Watching the telly this evening, I've noticed that cycle/ski helmets now seem to be sported by both student rioters and BBC reporters.

I anticipate that from now on the Daily Mail will be apportioning blame to those miscreants injured by the police as ..."a student, who was not wearing a helmet...".

[Ben Elton]Ooh, a bit of politics there [/Ben Elton]
Misguided Idealist

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Helmets work on pavements as well as riot batons
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I will be the first to point out that wearing a helmet will simply encourage the police officer to strike the person with more force than they would a non-helmet wearer. It certainly would if the police officer was me.
  • Fireblade96
    But what if you're just passing through on your bike ?
    Could this become areason for not wearing a helmet that will prove acceptable to the Helmet Nazis ?
    "I wasn't wearing a helmet because I was concerned the Police might beat me"
    Misguided Idealist
  • Helmets work on pavements as well as riot batons

But helmets have only be shown to be effective (against pavements or batons) for children under the age of 12...

:lol:

_
  • Helmet wearing (or the lack of it) - Darwinian selection in action.... :lol:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    ....I have one of those Bell Tony Hawk jobs in matt black, ideal for charging the barricades come the revolution I reckon.

Do you think it would be acceptable to affix one of those Imperial German spikes to the top?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • I too have a Bell Faction, but I've become increasingly concerned that if I'm on the recieving end of a baton charge, the strike of riot shield on my head gear might cause a rotational injury.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    I noticed one of the BBC journos carrying & then later wearing one...
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    My 2p worth:
    Having tried both, I think the ski helmet provides better protection since it can deflect repeated baton attacks.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I don't wear a helmet, as I have no expectation of ever being involved in a riot, and on my commute through the back lanes of Bucks & Oxon there aren't any roadside riots that might cause me to bang my skull. I'm prepared to live with the inconsequential risk that might exist though, that I might have a completely unexpected riot, probably near to Botolph Claydon. Or maybe Steeple Claydon. They're a rum lot there.
  • Fireblade96
    SimonAH wrote:
    ....I have one of those Bell Tony Hawk jobs in matt black, ideal for charging the barricades come the revolution I reckon.

Do you think it would be acceptable to affix one of those Imperial German spikes to the top?

G85.jpg

I wonder what that does to your FCN ?
    Misguided Idealist
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Although a helmet may be of some (limited) use if they use a drill, when they start turning you over and using the chisel, I think slightly more protection would be required. All good fun on the Maryhill Road run......

Quote from Daily Record:
    GANGLAND thugs armed with chisels chopped off a young man's penis in a gruesome attack beside a main road.

The attack on Bryan Hanlon, 26, came a week after his twin brother James had holes bored in his head with a power drill in another targeted underworld assault. Police are horrified by the brazen nature of both attacks and the savage violence used.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Are they mandatory for Australian riots?
  • Fireblade96
    Although a helmet may be of some (limited) use if they use a drill, when they start turning you over and using the chisel, I think slightly more protection would be required. All good fun on the Maryhill Road run......

Quote from Daily Record:
    GANGLAND thugs armed with chisels chopped off a young man's penis in a gruesome attack beside a main road.

The attack on Bryan Hanlon, 26, came a week after his twin brother James had holes bored in his head with a power drill in another targeted underworld assault. Police are horrified by the brazen nature of both attacks and the savage violence used.

Feck !
    To the best of my knowledge the police are not yet using chisels or drills. Who knows what the armed royal protection officers have secreted away though.
    Misguided Idealist
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    SimonAH wrote:

G85.jpg

Ooh thoroughly lovely - you could pop a tealight candle in there as well and so glow gently in the dark.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • SimonAH wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

G85.jpg

Ooh thoroughly lovely - you could pop a tealight candle in there as well and so glow gently in the dark.

Mmmm, perhaps a scented one?
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • Underscore wrote:
    Helmets work on pavements as well as riot batons

But helmets have only be shown to be effective for children under the age of 12...

:lol:

_

Don't know where you get that from. What rubbish, someone here even said just last week he was saved from serious injury thanks to his helmet, I would rather the helmet kit the kerb than my head thank you.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/990853.stm
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    someone here even said just last week he was saved from serious injury thanks to his helmet

That's that settled then.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    SimonAH wrote:

and really bright lights to blind the police and a helmet cam so you can get the I'd numbers of the baton waving thugs
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Are they mandatory for Australian riots?

and will the Aus police let your tyres down if you're not wearing one during said riot?
    There is no secret ingredient...