shimano Brake Cable Outer - What's The Story?

Mark Elvin
Mark Elvin Posts: 997
edited December 2010 in Workshop
Caliper brakes are great world of unkown to me & I was after some advice reference termination of the cable outer.

On the gear cables on the old MTB the end of cables have a ferrule type affair to finish them off where ther fit into the mech & shifter.

On the road brakes I have there doesn't appear to be room for a ferrule, the levers are Shimano BL-R400 & the calipers Shimano 105.

Amm I right in saying that there is no need for the ferrules?
2012 Cannondale Synapse

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    Amm I right in saying that there is no need for the ferrules?

no - there is a need for ferrules. The only place where ferrules are not needed is at the lever ends of the brake outers...
  • Hmm, there appears to be no room for the ferrule in the caliper.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Mark Elvin wrote:
    Hmm, there appears to be no room for the ferrule in the caliper.

There should indeed be enough room for a ferrule at the caliper end of the outer.

Is it possible you're using too big a ferrule? A simple small metal one should fit in there.
  • Pokerface wrote:
    Is it possible you're using too big a ferrule? A simple small metal one should fit in there.

That's the conclusion I have come to, of to bollock Evans cycles tomorrow.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    No brake cable ferrule at the caliper end on my 105 equipped bike. Nor are any shown on the Shimano instructions.

http://www.shimano-benelux.com/media/te ... 694487.pdf

FWIW, none on my Campag equipped bikes either.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    On my 105 setup, using the recommended Shimano outers and ferrules, there is no room for a ferrule in the calliper. The outer is a snug fit in the barrel adjuster.

I slapped a load of grease in there to try to protect it. Didn't seem to be much else I could do :?.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Mark Elvin wrote:
    Hmm, there appears to be no room for the ferrule in the caliper.

The newer Shimano adjustment bolts have on already built into them so there isn't a need for them.
  • Brilliant, thanks all, it looked F tight for a ferrule, was thinking they must be super thin walled.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse