Bike messengers

u05harrisb
u05harrisb Posts: 531
edited December 2010 in Commuting general
are any of you guys or girls a bike messenger, it seems a quite cool job to do as a backup when at uni/when i get out on the off chance of no job to go to. whats the best sort of way to go about becoming one? the whole culture and way it works is facinating if you could shed some light on anything about the job and what it really entales that would be brilliant!

many thanks!

Comments

• Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    We run bike messengers in Central London. The good ones earn £450/£500 per week for 5x 9 hour shifts (more or less). They are self-employed. They get paid per job and jobs range in distance from 100y to 4 miles. They do anything up to 40 jobs per day and working on GPS statistics, average around 75 EARNING miles per day (so more with commuting in and running empty between jobs.

The way to do well at this job is by a positive approach - come in 5 days a week and work your time, go home. As long as you are prepared, hard working and know your way around Central London (following TomTom is NOT the right way) then you can do well.

Saying that, as a "fill-in" job for a student, its not the best as you will likely turn up un-prepared, with little knowledge of the streets and what is required. Most companies would not hire you as fleet numbers are a crucial aspect of managing the company - too many couriers and your best riders will go elsewhere - unless in the run-up to Christmas. Easter and summer breaks and there is a lull in work anyway, so vacancies are few. If you want a job, then turn up begining of Feb and hastle everyone for a start - don't mention you're a student!

If you want to know any more, by all means drop me a pm with any questions.
  • What about setting up on your own? Be your own boss.. make your own money.. :)

I am seriously considering this, but not sure if there is much call for bike messengers up norf :lol:
  • Worst job I ever had was taking samples from one hospital to another hospital's STI clinic, makes you think.

Delivering lawyer's misplaced briefs?

Bike Messenger is fun, but it only pays if you work...
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    makes me wonder if you do about 90 miles a day as a bike messenger - wonder how fit you are going to be... obviously pretty damn fit, but I'm wondering in comparisons to cat 1/2 racers etc.
  • badwolf wrote:
    What about setting up on your own? Be your own boss.. make your own money.. :)

I am seriously considering this, but not sure if there is much call for bike messengers up norf :lol:

What about public liability insurance, wear and tear on bikes, rain, sleet, cold, dark, hazards, are you prepared financially if you suffer a twisted ankle, sprain, broken bone, off work for weeks/months, what about pension, paye, N.I, insurance, will you want to get up when all others are tucked up warm, are you allowed to run a business from home, check with landlord/mortgage/council, does your home insurance allow it.

If all is ok then go ahead.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Valy wrote:
    makes me wonder if you do about 90 miles a day as a bike messenger - wonder how fit you are going to be... obviously pretty damn fit, but I'm wondering in comparisons to cat 1/2 racers etc.

different fitness types.. couriers just keep riding at a certain pace 12-15mph maybe a little faster

racers will have a different muscle group about power as well as fitness, much more intensive
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14