Ice tyres

shem of pennal
shem of pennal Posts: 23
edited December 2010 in MTB general
Went flat on my face again today, which gets me wondering if its worth getting a set of the continental spike claw, metal studded tyres?
Has any one tried then, or similar. With the amount of ice and a cold weather forecast it could be very helpful!

Comments

• t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I think I saw on here that the Schwalbe ones have sold out now

I may well be wrong though
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • cheers, havnt looked at those ones, will take a hunt.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    take your tyres off and use the rim, much cheaper and better
  • Or make some, about 400 screws from Wickes and a shoot load of gaffa tape.

Simples.

http://bicycleslut.wordpress.com/2010/0 ... ice-tyres/
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Just spiked an old tyre of mine with a load of stainless steel rivets- less jaggy than screws but I got to test it today and it's a big improvement over plain rubber. Still might add short (ground down) screws, not sure.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • i really like th idea of making my own
    Am i strange in that i actually ENJOY going up hills? Yes, yes i am.

PS: Full - Sussers are for SOFTIES AND BIG GIRLS
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I had some ice tyres, but this morning when I went to the bike there was just two pools of water. :)
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Northwind wrote:
    Just spiked an old tyre of mine with a load of stainless steel rivets- less jaggy than screws but I got to test it today and it's a big improvement over plain rubber. Still might add short (ground down) screws, not sure.

Wouldn't mind seeing a couple (inside and out) of pics of that. :wink:
  • there's a thread 'anyone used spikey tyres' on the MTB General which has some info. I have one spike claw 120 on the front (the wheel that always seems to go) and riding for last couple of days has been great - still have to be careful. You could go for a full spiked tyre on the front (Spike Claw 240, Ice Spiker) or both front and rear ice tyres - it all depends how much you want to invest and how long you think the freeze will last. If you are self employed like me then it might turn out to be a very sound investment..,

Spoke to a guy from Wheelbase in Stavely who put a Conti Nordic (700c) full studded set on his cross Bike and really rates them.

I ended up getting mine from Bike 24 in Germany - it took a while to arrive but ironically this may have been the weather. They were cheaper than anywhere else as well even with postage.

If you go for a set of 120s or Schwalbe Snow Stud (ie with studs just round the edge) then they can be all round winter tyres - you just inflate them harder when it's not icy.