More questions re Forks & Saddle Post

Hondated
Hondated Posts: 136
edited December 2010 in Workshop
Hi everyone. Sitting here with time on my hands I got to thinking about a couple of questions I have and the first of these is : Would you fit an Alloy seat post on a carbon fibre bike and is the weight difference really worth the extra money a carbon fibre costs. Oh and does fitting the carbon fibre post significantly improve comfort.
The other concerning forks is can anyone tell me whether it is possible on a bike which has a quill stem to update it by fitting an Ahead bar stem / head set which would then enable me to fit a set of carbon forks.
hondated

Comments

• I have a carbon post in my pompino and it is noticeably more comfortable than an alloy one.

But, worth the money, only you can answer that.

Depends on the frame, if it's 1 1/8" then it's easy, if it is 1" then it is doable but you've got a harder job finding the forks. You also need to keep the axle-crown height the same and the rake/trail the same if you want the handling to stay the same.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    The generalisation is that yes carbon posts are more comfortable than Alu posts. But this is a generalisation and a badly designed carbon post can be very stiff and a well designed alu post can be made to be more compliant.

Carbon posts don't always have to be expensive. Have a look at the Carbon cycles one. It is very light, comfortable and reasonable money.

Don't forget you can also add comfort in other areas too like high volume light weight tyres or different saddle.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Rider weight and amount of exposed seatpost have a big influence - you're not going to notice much difference if you're 60kg with only 100mm of exposed post
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Hondated wrote:
    Hi everyone. Sitting here with time on my hands I got to thinking about a couple of questions I have and the first of these is : Would you fit an Alloy seat post on a carbon fibre bike and is the weight difference really worth the extra money a carbon fibre costs. Oh and does fitting the carbon fibre post significantly improve comfort.
    The other concerning forks is can anyone tell me whether it is possible on a bike which has a quill stem to update it by fitting an Ahead bar stem / head set which would then enable me to fit a set of carbon forks.

I have heard that ally posts tend to get stuck in carbon frames, I'm sure someone on here can explain the reaction between the two materials.

You can get a quilll stem adapter to allow a ahead stem to be clamped on.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=K0123

amongst others, google quill stem adapter
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well I have a carbon post in an ally frame, with the following experience:

initially it was slipping, but a dollop of carbon assembly paste stopped that.

No sign of a reaction between the two materials (but the paste may be helping?)

I'm 70kg and there's about 15 cm of post showing, and I can't really say it's providing any damping effect. The 25mm tyres at 70 / 90 psi are though.

It does look nice though!
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    Depends on the frame, if it's 1 1/8" then it's easy, if it is 1" then it is doable but you've got a harder job finding the forks. You also need to keep the axle-crown height the same and the rake/trail the same if you want the handling to stay the same.

I'm pretty sure Easton do all their forks in 1" steerer.
  • Hondated
    edited December 2010
    REMOVED DUPLICATE POSTING
    hondated
  • Hondated
    Thanks everyone for your advice much appreciated.Since asking the question however I have decided to strip the bike down,which was a Tourer and I have put the frame up for sale on Ebay.I am now going to transfer the majority of the parts onto an aluminium frame I brought from Butlers and have not used for years and this is already equipped with a Ahead stem system. I did this mainly because I now have the new tourer and just need a Winter hack.If you in the market for a Steel frame take a look on Ebay and make me a sensible offer via here.
    hondated