Can you fix a joe blow track pump?

seanoconn
seanoconn Posts: 11,475
edited December 2010 in Workshop
I've only had it a year and for 30quid I thought it would last longer. The pump's not engaging the value properly no matter how hard I try. One pump and the needle on the gauge shoots up to about 120psi and it won't let me push any air in.
Does anyone have any tips or is it scrap? Thanks.
Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי

Comments

• I have one and occasionally have this problem (although I blame the valse for not opening, don't know if I'm right or you are).

You can get replacement heads and various spares for the Joe Blow in theory. A google search brings this up http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25516 which might help (assuming you can fit it to your model of pump).
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    edited December 2010
    EDIT - double post.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I occassionally have the same problem, but for me it's always just a case of the pump not being pushed onto the valve correctly.

But I take it you've already checked this?
  • seanoconn
    Yeah I tried pushing it right down on the valve but made no difference and i've tried it on 3 or 4 different inner tubes but with the same result. A couple times after this problem the pump started working properly again but now seems to have given up the ghost. I'll look into getting some replacement heads then rather than shelling out for a new pump.
    Thanks.
  • kilo
    kilo Posts: 174
    This happens to mine every three months or so try undoing the allen keys on the base taking it apart and giving it a bit of a clean out, before soending any cash.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You only need to replace the rubber grommet in the head that seals against the valve stem - LBS usually carry spares. There is also a non-return at the other end of the hose - these can freeze in very cold conditions due to water forming inside the pump.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • seanoconn
    I found an older post about joe blow pumps and seems to be a common problem. As suggested above the solution seemed to be taking it apart, cleaning out and fiddling with the non return spring.
    If I ever need another track pump i'll give joe blow a miss.
  • these can freeze in very cold conditions due to water forming inside the pump

I hadn't thought of that. Will bear that in mind when I next get annoyed with a pump in winter...
  • Mine has been very reliable for 3 years. To avoid a similar situation to that you've described I always let a bit of air out before engaging the pump head. Sorry you've had a problem - it's a bit of kit you want to be able to rely on.
  • seanoconn
    Result! Had a fiddle with the non return valve and spring and the pumps started working again, for the time being anyway. Forum to the rescue again.
    Thanks for the help.