Drop-bar, disc-braked, rack & guard ready allrounder: id

pedropete
pedropete Posts: 227
edited December 2010 in Commuting general
Hi all,

I know this one's been done in a variety of guises, but I'd appreciate some input/ideas. Posted in the 'Road Buying Advice' section too.

Looking to buy (or build) a disc-braked, drop-barred, rack and guard-ready allrounder for combined road/fitness riding, commuting, shopping & light touring (hence the rack requirement) and one that won't get upset when I hop kerbs or take the rougher shortcuts. And, ideally something that won't give me a hernia from shouldering it.

I'm still considering whether I want a regular transmission or the simplicity of a hub-gear (Alfine). Cost of the Versa drop-bar Alfine shifter has to be a factor for a self build though, as there aren't many used ones around.

I know such a ride's unlikely to excel at everything but I'm comfortable with that. Be good to hear what people are using and get your thoughts on the bikes/frames I've shortlisted, below:

1. Genesis 'Croix de Fer' - http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/cross/croix-de-fer/croix-de-fer
Like it and it's got great reviews, but not keen on white frames and the gruppo & fork spec suffered this year.

2. Genesis 'Day 1 Alfine' - http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/cross/day-01/day-01-alfine
Again, nice looking package and Alfine simplicity is very appealing, but steel fork and other bits are a little stingy.

3. Kona 'Honky Inc' (2010 or 2011) - http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=honky_inc
Carbon fork, Ultegra/105 tranny and BB7s look great on paper, but buggered if I can find any reviews! Anyone own/ed or ridden one and can offer feedback?

4. Cotic >X< (self-build) - http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/x
Lovely looking frame with a carbon fork. £450 for just frame & fork means it won't be cheap though.

5. On One 'Pompetamine': Versa,Versa Pro or frameset only - http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOPOMPET/on-one-pompetamine-frame
Love the look of this, and again, the Alfine prospect is compelling. Could just about afford to build it up with the Cotic carbon fork as well. Not sure how tough it is though.

So, what do you all think?

Cheers... Pete.

Comments

• to put it this way... I'm in love with the Croix De Fer that is all, why?

disc brakes, drop bars, minimal look (personal opinion) and STEEL! my ala carte is 853 and easily has 20 years life in it and feels amazing to ride, i've got it setup with a cromolly fork also.

This is definetly my next bike, like you say rack + full mudguard support on this as well is an epic selling point.
  • i had a custom Ti frame and Ti fork built by Justin Burls, £1300 frame only. Built up for touring with mtb hubs, cable disk brakes, all eyelets for racks and mud guards.

I could use this bike for cyclocross.

_IGP3299.jpg

burls-3.jpg

burls-4.jpg
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    I have the Genesis Day01 Alfine, it's a great bike, but be aware that due to the horizontal drop outs and the disc brakes, it uses chain tugs to make sure you wheel stays straight for the brakes. This can mean it's a pita to remove the rear wheel. Putting it back in is worse if you haven't got paitence!
    Are the steel forks a problem? not really, It's still a comfortable ride
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I fiund that an eccentric bottom bracket is best for Alfine with disc brakes. I prefer the ones with external bolt clamps rather than internal mechanisms, they seem to be more reliable.

BTW dig that front disk brake mount on the Burls. The "wrong side" mounting ensures that braking forces act to seat the axle in the fork rather than try to remove it, a useful safety feature.
  • That Burls looks lovely. Suspect my bank account would implode if I tried for one though!

gaz545: not bothered by steel forks per se, more by the relatively stingy spec for the money. How do you get on with the Tektro Lyras fitted to it?
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    i had a custom Ti frame and Ti fork built by Justin Burls, £1300 frame only. Built up for touring with mtb hubs, cable disk brakes, all eyelets for racks and mud guards.

The bike is AWESOME!!!
  • thanks for the praise, i specified the disk brake on right side of fork for precisely the reasons mentioned above.

the burls is expensive on first look, but total build cost around £2000, using mtb chainset, but this is a totally custom build, my ideas with justin burls input and knowledge.

compared to a standard dawes galaxy Ti full bike at £2300, it comes out as cheaper. the dawes ti frame only comes with db chromoly fork.

I believe the dawes frame does not have disk mounts.

i know these reads as an advert for burls but i am really pleased with our bikes.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Orbea Diem Drop?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • That Orbea's an interesting looking beastie. Nice as it is, I think I'd rather have tougher wheels and a better spec than go the carbon route.