What do you wear, now that it is cold???

highlander777
highlander777 Posts: 67
edited December 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi , i bought a pair of Castelli Fulmine bibshorts which are design for this weather

I have been out several times and each time when I get back , ars& cheeks are frozen

What do others do???

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Try WEARING the shorts. 8)
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    bib shorts???

or bib tights / longs??
  • I wear waterproof and therefore windproof tights, jacket and gloves. Nothing special underneath, just a sweatshirt.
  • vinnn
    vinnn Posts: 62
    I've been keeping up the 30 mile a day commute in temperatures as low as -8.

I've been wearing 2 paired of socks under my shoes and shoe covers on top.
    On the legs, bib knickers (shorts that go below the knee) under unpadded winter bib tights.
    On the top a short sleeved base layer under a long sleeve jersey with a soft shell or rain jacket over that.
    "Seal-Skin" waterproof winter gloves, they're amazing.
    Finally, under my helmet a cycling cap with a buff round the neck & ears or a skull cap that covers the head and ears and clear lens glasses.

With that lot I haven't suffered from the cold at all but the nose/cheek area still gets cold.

Can't wait till summer. :)
  • sorry to be clear, they are not shorts - full leg version...
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Just got me a pair of Assos 851 bibtights (no pad) that I wear over my bibshorts. Warmest things I've ever worn!

Normally I just wear my regular bibshorts with a thin pair of lycra tights underneath.

As my arse is in the back and out of the wind, it's never had a problem keeping warm!
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    the bib shorts are out and in use now as they keep my lower back warmer, and I have a preference for a long sleved jersey over short now its cold (14 deg or less) at 6am
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Good Morning

I've been out in some pretty cold weather and still been warm, especially as I don't really do steady to be honest.

Top to Bottom:
    Endura Thermolite Skull Cap (Under Giro Prolight Helmet)
    Thermal Buff round the Neck

Endura BaaBaa Merino Wool Base Layer
    Endura MT500 Jersey (as a mid-layer)
    Altura Night Vision Evo Jacket

SealSkinz Waterproof Gloves (not the full on winter version)

Endura Stealth Extreme Bib-Longs
    Endura Road Overshoes

And im always nice and toasty. Sometimes having to open my jacket to cool down a bit. The Endura Biblongs are simply awesome.

Cheers

GP
    RMWL - Ride More Worry Less
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Try some Roubaix fabric bib shorts. Santini Sirio,Hincapie Arenberg are two makes I use. Assos do a spendy version but it may not be available yet. Wear under eg Endura/Specialized/Assos windproof,heavier unpadded tights
    M.Rushton
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Aldi winter bib longs on top of lycra leggings (ron-hills).

As others have said, buff, cap under jelmet, one pair of woolly socks (OK for an hour at -5 degrees) and some old thinsulate gloves I had lieing around.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Padded dhb tights, a merino base layer and a long sleeve jersey keep me warm enough once I've got the heart pumping a bit.

My problem is keeping hands and feet warm.

On my feet I wear 1 pair if thin winter bike socks, 1 pair or thick merino walking socks, mountain bike shoes and neoprone overshoes. After 10 minutes my toes are like lumps of ice that I can't feel so I just try and forget about them for the rest of the ride.

Sealskin gloves just don't keep my fingers warm
    :( :?
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I recently tried oversocks (Prendas) under overshoes and that really made a difference. Of course Rapha and Assos also do o/socks but the Prendas ones are cheaper and imo work just as well. It's about keeping the cold out without too much bulk. Now, we just need the ideal glove.
    M.Rushton
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    mrushton wrote:
    I recently tried oversocks (Prendas) under overshoes and that really made a difference. Of course Rapha and Assos also do o/socks but the Prendas ones are cheaper and imo work just as well. It's about keeping the cold out without too much bulk. Now, we just need the ideal glove.

I'll try the over sock underneath my overshoe, thanks for the tip.

If you have sealskins gloves try a thin glove liner underneath, like the sort of glove sold for running in. Either that or go for a pair of Specalised Subzero gloves, bit bulky but work really well.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Sealskin gloves just don't keep my fingers warm
    :( :?[/quote]

totally agree. bought a pair and really disappointed with them. fingertips are freezing and hurt after 10 mins.