Have I lost my nerve?

TLDNMCL
TLDNMCL Posts: 2,779
edited December 2010 in Commuting general
I've been off the bike totally for a long time, but will hopefully be well enough to start again in the near future. Trouble is, I've had all this time to observe the traffic and circumstances I was in amongst previously, which has given me a bit of a surprise (similar to the feeling when standing on a motorway hard shoulder and realising just how fast the traffic is moving), and I am beginning to doubt whether I can pick up where I left off. :?

I'm not so concerned about social, leisure or fitness riding, but city commuting again has got me thinking.

Anybody else been down this road, so to speak, and if so how did you restore your nerve?

Thanks.
Mac

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Having been forced onto more major roads (maybe 2 miles of national speed limit) during the snowy spell I've been put off a bit but haven't stopped as I figure that instant death or rapid evacuation from a crash with a car is favourable to dying slowly of hypothermia on the frozen ground of a deserted bike track. [/cold realism]

It's a balance of risks I suppose. The more motorists are exposed to cyclists the more they will be aware of them and drive appropriately when your around them so if one person pulls out it affects us all like a butterfly's wing beat.... [/zen]
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    TBH, It takes time to get it back if you lose it for any reason, I am back out of some jct's and slow down and my accident was 6 months ago now, time, it takes time.
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.