A Conspiracy of Silence

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
I have to say, I am surprised at how little has been mentioned on here about the wikileaks affair and the:
a) arrest of founder
b) denial of services by amazon, paypal, visa. mastercard

All dissent will be silenced you know
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• I just find it odd that all of a sudden these firms have found out that Wikileaks have filled in a form incorrectly, or violated their terms of service or similar.

And what about the Anonymous attacks on Mastercard etc.?
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Isnt it just that all the ones so far have been stating what we've all thought anyway ?

Berlusconi vain and ineffective ? Or was that Sarkozy ? Doesnt matter.

Russia awash with Mafia ? Well WHO would have thunk it.

Prince Andrew being anti French - good for him. ;-)

Its all very very dull. Now when do they get to the juicy "UFO's do exist" messages ?
  • spen666
    I just find it odd that all of a sudden these firms have found out that Wikileaks have filled in a form incorrectly, or violated their terms of service or similar.
    Co incidental isn't it

I know nothing about them, I've got an alibi, I was washing my hair

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666
    Hmmm 16:32 I start a thread on here about Wikileaks

16:39 someone starts a thread discussing wikileaks on Cakestop

coincidence?

Twittering @spen_666
  • *crackle* He's on to us - rotate surveillance vector to Black Gate Two, over and out. *Zzzt*
  • *kssshh* Repositioning satellite *kssshh*

And while we're here, people with proper radio training never say 'over and out'. 'Over' at the end of a sentence means 'I'm done speaking, and am now expecting a response'. 'Out' at the end of a conversation means 'I'm done speaking, and this conversation is now over'. It's one of my little irrational pet hates that TV shows/movies get this wrong.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Roger That 8)
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    edited December 2010
    spen666 wrote:
    I have to say, I am surprised at how little has been mentioned on here about the wikileaks affair and the:
    a) arrest of founder
    b) denial of services by amazon, paypal, visa. mastercard

All dissent will be silenced you know
    It's easier for those companies to pull the plug, than to fight the takedown notice. Which reflects poorly on the (US) legal system, IMO.
  • spen666
    Come the glorious revolution.....

Twittering @spen_666
  • self preservation on the prt of paypal and co

same way most people would steer clear of the mate that turned up in the Gallowgate End in a red an white top shouting Shearers a tw@t.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I imagine that any organisation with an interest would already know these details as the original leaked didn't need to use a very sophisticated method of getting the data out (a CD-R labelled "Lady Gaga" which he overwrote with the data).
  • I just find it odd that all of a sudden these firms have found out that Wikileaks have filled in a form incorrectly, or violated their terms of service or similar.

Those firms are based or have significant operations in the USA, and thus are obliged to follow US law. Leaking official US secrets would be breaking US laws, and those companies would certainly have terms of service that prohibit that as a general principle.

Whether it is in the public interest is another matter.

The problem here is that so many powerful internet entities are based in the US, so the US government has a disproportionate amount of control over the internet.
  • I just hope we finally find out who really shot JR
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • spen666
    I just hope we finally find out who really shot JR

It was Osama Bin Laden

Twittering @spen_666
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    spen666 wrote:
    I just hope we finally find out who really shot JR

It was Osama Bin Laden

Is that the same Osama Bin Laden who was funded by the CIA to throw the Russians out of Afghanistan ?
    Is that the same Osama Bin Laden who was funded by the CIA to throw the Russians out of Afghanistan ?
    I think OBL drew his funding from other wealthy Arabs who disliked the Soviet invasion & occupation of Afghanistan.

At the time, Al Qaeda/Bin Laden were our allies against the Soviets.

Earlier, the Soviets were our allies against the Germans.

Earlier, the Germans were our allies against the French.

Earlier, the French were in league with the US, who, funnily enough, were fighting the British.

Given enough time, everyone will alternate between being your friend and your enemy, ad nauseum. Countries either participate in global politics, and risk fighting those who were (at one time or another) their allies, or simply sit it out, like Switzerland.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    freedom of speech:priceless.
    for everything else...theres mastercard.

its a bit galling that paypal have pulled the plug on donations to wikileaks, however it is possible to use paypal to donate to the KKK. :shock:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Well apparently its Cyber War over the Internet.

I wonder how you level up?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Tic tac toe at Hurt me plenty?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    David Aaronovitch's comment article in the Times this morning was really interesting! It's behind the paywall so to paraphrase:

If you're a raging liberal
    - We like voting in governments and scorn countries who don't have democracy
    - We trust our governments to run our schools etc
    - As soon as governments do anything for defence they are immediately evil, dupliticous & bad and must be exposed. (Despite the fact they are defending us)

If you're a raging conservative (In the Tea Party style)
    - We like voting in governments and scorn countries who don't have democracy
    - We don't want our government to interfere in education, health etc
    - As soon as governments do anything for defence they must be trusted unquestioningly and all naysayers are treasonous.

His point was that basically the extremes are both hypocritical.

And in these days of t'internet, one person with a viewpoint this extreme who decides to act is able to circumvent their entire community/country and impose their viewpoint.

IE It's impossible to keep things secret any more.
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    edited December 2010
    hfidgen wrote:

And in these days of t'internet, one person with a viewpoint this extreme who decides to act is able to circumvent their entire community/country and impose their viewpoint.

IE It's impossible to keep things secret any more.
    Julian Assange is not a US citizen. He has no legal or moral obligation to keep US secrets. If those secrets are embarassing, then the US should not have said/done it in the first place. It is no good arguing that "there is a war on", as there is a war going on, somewhere, all the time.

Also, journalists are professionally expected to reveal secrets if it is in the public interest, even if they technically break the law to do so.

On the internet, everyone can express their views, the trick is to be heard above everyone else + their dog also expressing their views on the internet, which does not happen unless someone says something worth hearing.

Also, the US should actually be thanking Mr Assange for revealing how rubbish their diplomatic security is.
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    But this thread's better :wink: