Ikea: Merry Xmas, have a bike...

hatbeard
hatbeard Posts: 1,087
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
The big reveal takes place today. Truck doors will open, bicycles will be unloaded and the surprise will be disclosed. IKEA US co-workers across the country will then find out that each and every one has a brand new bike to take or ride home.

"It's been a good year for IKEA, so what better way to celebrate our success than to thank our IKEA co-workers who made this happen. Our big reveal today will be a fun day as we unload 12,400 new bikes at IKEA US locations. This is our way of saying 'thanks IKEA co-workers for being strongly committed to working together.' We hope this bike will be taken in the spirit of the season while supporting a healthy lifestyle and everyday sustainable transport," commented Mike Ward, IKEA US President.

With a strong commitment to good health and being environmentally conscious, IKEA selected an all terrain bike as the holiday co-worker gift for 2010. What makes it even more special is that the delivery of bikes is a total surprise for all co-workers. Hopefully, all will stay mum until today/Tuesday, December 7th at 9:30 am (each store’s local time).

continues here:- http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20101207005475/en

I bet there's a handful of mildly happy people amongst those 12,400 and a hell of a lot more people who would have preferred cash. :lol:
Hat + Beard

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    hatbeard wrote:
    I bet there's a handful of mildly happy people amongst those 12,400 and a hell of a lot more people who would have preferred cash. :lol:

i wonder how many will say "Hey...this is a ooberfantastico pressie for my child for xmas....kerching...money saved to buy good stuff...like eggnog."

I also wonder how many of them (presumably reebok or equivalent BSO's) will end up on ebay.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    I wonder how good the employee facilities are for people who ride to work are as well. :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    It's a shame that Ikea, which has the infrastructure and the reputation for selling good quality, affordable, well-designed and interesting 'things', hasn't released a good cheap utility bike. Something like the BTwin Vitamin.

I saw those little rebadged Raleigh folders for sale in their store but they're not really what I'm thinking of.
  • I'm sorry but this is bikes for Americans......I hope they have strong frames and large saddles :-D

Nice idea tho but it obviously wasn't that good a year if they aren't doing it internationally!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Yeah, most of the free folders ended up on t'Bay. I imagine this will be the same.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited December 2010
    Errrrrrr :shock: A BSO so cheap they left the suspension off :lol:
    (On the other hand, that is to quality cycles what Ikea is to quality furniture.....)

IkeaBSO.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    and large saddles :-D
    Walmart stores sell a saddle that is so big it looks like it would fit over a horse!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Many of the fold up bikes they gave as Christmas gifts to staff several years ago ended up abandoned around the bike shed. Still the Christmas I was there, they gave each member of staff a PURE digital radio which was cool and is still going strong. A good present. Touch wood. It's cherry wood. Far better quality and durable than the look of the bike above they are giving out this year. Still 3/10 for trying. Perhaps they should have taken part in the C2W scheme.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Nice idea - shame about the bike :(
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    That bike looks horrible! I think when people want to know what a BSO is, they should be pointed at that picture.

Just had a mooch online and it seems that IKEA had the bike made specifically for them. Obviously by someone who either has no idea about bikes or knows about bikes and hates them.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Did they all come flat packed with a few extra bits and a really crap spanner to put it together? :lol:

Maybe they were made to look crap so you could cycle to work and no one would want to steal it and your kids would never be seen dead on it so you would have to use it .....
    FCN 3/5/9