New Purchase

JonnyBlade
JonnyBlade Posts: 14
edited December 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

I've just purchased the following frame and I'm trying to find out what it is? Any clues or a pointer in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

[/img]sowmqx.jpg

Regards

Jonny

Comments

  • yea, its a Raleigh :D
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    It's a bike. Without wheels. 8)
  • Pokerface wrote:
    It's a bike. Without wheels. 8)

    Isn't this what they call a "BSO" over on the Commuting threads?
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    it looks remarkably like a re-paint and respray of one of Raleigh early 1980'2 frames - they were normally Reynolds 531 with 531ST forks

    see the similarities to this picture:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/takeitout/798653076/

    and these

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/97652170@N ... 352572797/

    certainly of that period if not a Gran Sport
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Thanks for the replies all :lol:

    I thought I'd bought a scooter :roll:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Seriously - how can you buy something and not know what it is?
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    Nice project.

    Are you going to sell the other 2 on Ebay? :D
  • PF. £14.99 is how I can buy something I know nothing of :D
    I just fancied a project and it starts here 8)
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    JonnyBlade wrote:
    PF. £14.99 is how I can buy something I know nothing of :D
    I just fancied a project and it starts here 8)

    Damned good answer - no offence PokerFace :lol: If It is made from 531 you must have a bargain there I'd have thought
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • AF16, that's what I'm hoping 8)
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Nope-I agree. Good answer.

    I just tend to find out what something is before I buy it!
  • Pokerface wrote:
    Nope-I agree. Good answer.

    I just tend to find out what something is before I buy it!

    PF I generally look before I leap but thought this might be an opportunity. The fun starts now though :D
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    JonnyBlade wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Nope-I agree. Good answer.

    I just tend to find out what something is before I buy it!

    PF I generally look before I leap but thought this might be an opportunity. The fun starts now though :D


    Hey - for £15... how wrong could it go!?
  • Pokerface wrote:
    JonnyBlade wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Nope-I agree. Good answer.

    I just tend to find out what something is before I buy it!

    PF I generally look before I leap but thought this might be an opportunity. The fun starts now though :D


    Hey - for £15... how wrong could it go!?

    My thoughts exactly
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Isn't this what they call a "BSO" over on the Commuting threads?

    Looks more like a BOS to me. If the equipement is anything to go on I doubt it's 531. But, like you said £15.....
  • inseine wrote:
    Isn't this what they call a "BSO" over on the Commuting threads?

    Looks more like a BOS to me. If the equipement is anything to go on I doubt it's 531. But, like you said £15.....

    It feels fairly lightweight and not at all like a tower scaffold so I live in hope
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Feel inside the seat tube, if there's a seam it's gas piping. Is there a name on the rear drop outs? This would be a good thing. The cottered chainset is v cheap IMO but possibly not what the bike came with.
  • inseine wrote:
    Feel inside the seat tube, if there's a seam it's gas piping. Is there a name on the rear drop outs? This would be a good thing. The cottered chainset is v cheap IMO but possibly not what the bike came with.

    Thanks Inseine,
    I will have a check later when I get home. There are a couple of oddities on it really. For instance, the bottom bracket area is permanently sealed on one side with a single hole for the spindle in the middle of it so you wouldn't get a sealed unit in it. There is only a 5" gap between the rear forks which might suggest single speed or possibly small sized fixed gears?

    It's definitely wet my appetite :D
  • Thanks Inseine,
    I will have a check later when I get home. There are a couple of oddities on it really. For instance, the bottom bracket area is permanently sealed on one side with a single hole for the spindle in the middle of it so you wouldn't get a sealed unit in it. There is only a 5" gap between the rear forks which might suggest single speed or possibly small sized fixed gears?

    It's definitely wet my appetite