help broken wheel

welkman
welkman Posts: 396
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi got home tonight and realised I am going to need a new wheel set. I have a split rear rim where the nipples have corroded and the front seems to be going the same way.

Can anyone advise me on a totally bombproof 700cc wheelset (not interested in speed), this is whatI have currently:

2007 Kona Jake running 23mm contenental tyres and mudguards.

Current (dead) wheelset:

SunRims MZ14 32 spoke front and rear.

Front hub Deore HB-M530
Rear Hub FH 3300 VIA

Not sure on the hub size/length.

Thanks Welkman

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    If the hubs are good maybe getting new rims is the way to go? You could upgrade the rims to whatever you choose and overall spend less then a whole new wheelset.

I have no suggestions on rims though.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Do you have a budget?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • welkman
    budget could stretch from 100-200 pounds depending on the wheelset, but cheaper is good as I'm about to buy a new sailing dinghy. I am thinking I need at least 36 spokes but I really havent got much of an idea about road wheels, all I know is spending 30mins outside swapping my commuting gear onto my mtb is not appreciated at this time of year and with these temperatures!
  • Deore Front / Sora Rear

Front Hub is 100mm OLD (Over Locknut Dimension?)
    Rear Hub is 130mm OLD

If your wheels are built 3 cross then you can get away with new rims / old spokes, maybe. I've had good history with Mavic Open Pro rims, easy to build too.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Mavic Aksiums?

How heavy are you? Unless you're 90kg+, 32h should be fine. I'm running a Mavic Open Sport on the front and Open Pro rear. Both 32h and I'm 12st 10lbs. Ahem, -ish.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I've had good results from my Ambrosio Evo wheel set before the fixie came along. 32H three cross, sealed bearings, and don't look cr@p either. I was around 105kg at the time :oops: (currently a fair bit lighter I might add) so strength is definitely not a problem.
    Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    Mavic Aksiums?

How heavy are you? Unless you're 90kg+, 32h should be fine. I'm running a Mavic Open Sport on the front and Open Pro rear. Both 32h and I'm 12st 10lbs. Ahem, -ish.
    Aksiums are pretty good:
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Wheels/Road+Wheels/Factory+Road+Wheels/Mavic+Aksium+Wheels+-+Pair_1325.htm
    They have an additional 10% off for the next few days too...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    cjcp wrote:
    Mavic Aksiums?

I'm 100kg and 32's are fine for me
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    No complaints against my Planet X Model C's (£100 when purchased). They've survived my weight 70KG + 20KG touring kit across Europe and many a London pot hole..

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPP ... m---32-32h
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Clever Pun wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Mavic Aksiums?

I'm 100kg and 32's are fine for me

I'm a little over 100kg and I broke the freehub on my Aksiums (several times).
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Were the originals Alex Rims by any chance? If so exactly same thing happened after about 18 months and 1500 miles on my bike. The wheels themselves were bad from the start never being perfectly true and very noisy hubs. Of course knowing what I know now I would pick this up on a test ride, however back then… I also had very bad puncture with these Rim which involved the side wall of the tyre going followed by 4 inch puncture on the tube, stuck miles away from in the country. I am 110kg but bike is rated higher, all this and an issue with the saddle have put me off Specialized and Alex for life.

Not sure wheel rebuild is going to save you much unless you know how to do it yourself as by the time you’ve added labor cost to rim price you could buy a new set of wheels.

I went with Shimano RS20 very impressed so far having done 1000 + miles on them. Noticeably quiet and still 100% true.

Review Here
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... lset-30860

Quick search possible to get them for £120 note Random Link from Google I know nothing about supplier.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... r_2225.htm

--
    Chris
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    +1 for the RS20, got a set on by commuter and just ordered another set from Merlin for my Dads bike.

I used them on my bike in all weather for the past year with no issue and still true.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Planet X Model Cs, (or Bs?). They get good reviews and are fairly cheap.

I have some which I've not used, but I'll be using them when my cheapo Alex rims die. I'm surprised they haven't already...
  • welkman
    Gone for the RS20 Shimanos along with a chain whip and cassette tool. I hope they arrive promptly as commuting on the mountain bike seems like torture! Thanks for the help