Planet X Himod Headset Problem

jamesfifield
jamesfifield Posts: 147
edited December 2010 in Workshop
Riding back home today, I noticed that the headset was loose on my Planet X Nanolight Himod. When I got back I loosened the stem bolts and tightened up the preload screw, but even when it was fully tightened to the point that it would go no further, there was still play in the headset and no preload.
I undid the cap on the top of the forks to inspect and realised that the reason was the cap was tightened fully onto the contraption they use to replace the star nut, I think they call it a "Planet X Carbon Fork Bung Centre Pull System" (http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FSP ... ull-system).
When I went to tighten this too, the screw in the bung simply kept on turning and is not biting any thread within the fork.
Two questions: would the lack of preload on the headset be a result of the bolt fouling on the bung before adequate pressure could be applied, and if so how would I be able to position the bung lower in the fork? At the moment the top of the bung is sitting proud of the top of the steerer.
Secondly, is the fact that the screw is not biting a cause for concern?

Thanks very much,
James

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Undo the bung push back down the steerer and tighten. then redo the preload.

1 no.
    2 see above.
    3 have you stripped the threads in the bung? if yes new bung.

sounds like the bottom of the bung needs holding to bite in the inner split collar to allow it to expand.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    if the bung/starnut replacemnt contaption is too high or the top of the stem isnt sitting above with sufficient clearance then you will not be able to apply any preload. there needs to be clearance below the underside of the top cap for it to pull the whole shooting match down.
    check if the bung is loose, there are different types but the threaded piece might have come undone where you cant see in the fork. try and remove it and see. could have stripped threads but you would notice when it was tightened in the first place.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    My SL had headset problems. Emailed Planet X and an extra spacer solved the problem. Been tight ever since.