Sportive Classic Climbs

Gooner69
Gooner69 Posts: 97
Hiya guys I am looking to compile a list of the most "famous" climbs used on UK sportives.
To complicate things slightly I need to know the route/approach road if there is more than one.

For example the most famous one local to me is Cheddar Gorge. The "classic" section is usually considered to be from the car park at the first hairpin after the caves entrance until around 300m before the first junction along the flat (ish) straight.

Not interested in the hardest or longest but just the most iconic or talked about.

Anyone have any to add?

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    100%20greatest%20cycling%20climbs.preview_500.jpg

ask Father Christmas for this?

I'll start.. HardKnott on the FWC. Corker.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • :) Great idea Maddog, i will do.

Being a pita which road is it? and are there any "regular" start points? landmarks etcto signify the start and finish?

Imo most uk climbs can be distilled down to less than 15 mins of torture. I need to seperate the gradual inclines before the "proper" climb starts.

Thanks
  • There is a good reason for this research and im not just trying to start a general discussion :wink:
  • lemon63
    lemon63 Posts: 253
    Sportive - Abergavenny Iron Mountain
    Climb - The Tumble

Is that the sort of info you meant ?
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    4881064439_64849910ed_o.jpg

+1
  • Rosedale Chimney on the Ryedale sportive - all fear this hill, few laugh at its 1/3 gradient.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • robjhp
    robjhp Posts: 21
    Mow cop on cheshire cat,bit over hyped but still a fair climb.
  • Steve GT
    Steve GT Posts: 383
    Fleet Moss and Park Rash on the Richmond 5 Dales.
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Hi Gooner

Found this link on another thread about climbs in the UK. This has been compiled, I would imagine, from climbs that feature in various sportive around the UK. It is listed alphabetically so you have to trawl through if you looking for climbs in a particular area.

However the detail is impressive and is reported by someone who has ridden the climb.

http://www.sportivecentral.com/index.ph ... &t=&page=1

Apologies if you are already aware of this site
  • Thanks guys, especially Arlo.

That link is fantastic and full of the info I rerquire :)