Cracked seat tube????

SteveR_100Milers
SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
edited December 2010 in Workshop
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45601861@N02/?saved=1

The first 3 pics are of my TT bike seat tube, where I just noticed hairline cracks at the front and rear of the tube. I don't think I have overtightened the clamp, its just enough to stop the seat post from slipping which dosnt need much torque - less than that which I use on my summer bike that has a circular CF seat post and seat tube; and much much less than the all steel one on my trackie. I'll get t checked out before race season, but am I likely to get an a** full of CF splinters, or should I do as The Beautiful South once suggested?

The front crack looks to be superficial - in the lacquer only, but the one at the back looks to have penetrated the depth of the tube at the top end anyway. There are no visible cracks below the seat clamp, or anywhere else on the bike. I have always been aware that the seat post flexes quite a lot when I have been riding it...

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Link doesn't work.
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    Does'nt look to good.Not sure if it's because you've overtightend but more that lateral movement of the seatpost has cause either the paint to crack or the carbon itself.I would've of thought if the carbons cracked it will open up pretty quickly with lateral stress as the seatpost flexes.I'm sure some one with personel expierience of seatpost failure will be along with more accurate info.

Nice pictures BTW.
  • One of those: Is it just the paint/laquer that has cracked, or the tube itself?

I would be hopeful that the tube has not craked and I would buy some carbon paste asap.
  • looks like the tube at the back, and just the lacquer at the front.

I cannot imagine that a CF seat tube should crack under normal use like that, its pretty tough material.