How do you thank a driver who waits at a pinch point?

mybreakfastconsisted
mybreakfastconsisted Posts: 1,018
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Waits behind you I mean and doesn't just barge through.

I worry a raised right hand might be interpreted as a right-turn signal. A thumbs up after they've passed may not be seen. Shouting isn't wise, I try just lifting my hand off the bars just before they pass in an open-palm "Thanks" gesture.

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Thumbs up just as they leave you room... yeah normally I'd wave but as you say it's far too close to a 'right turn clyde'
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Usually - a little wave of the hand or a thumbs up....may even nod my head if I am on the fixie!
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    a thumbs-up from me

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • hand raise from the bars, but keeping contact with them as they start to come past - this way you are in their line of sight and the movement of the hand will register (human eyes are designed to spot movement)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Thumbs up, wave of the hand. It actually happens quite often. Lots of nice people out there!
  • CXXC wrote:
    a thumbs-up from me

+1
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Wave or a thumbs-up. Waving can be pretty obviously done as 'not a RH turn'.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Yeah I usually give a thumbs up for any considerate driving - try to do that to as many cars as possible; there's a chance they'll do it again...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Usually a wave (more straight up than side-ways), but I often wait and give the driver a thumbs-up or mouth "thank you" when I pass their window at the next set of lights...
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I'll often raise my hand straight up in the air to say thanks to a driver behind me. Similar to the way a car driver would raise their left hand up towards the rear view mirror to thank the driver behind.

Tend to assume it would be a fairly universal sign representing thanks, as it's used by car drivers. Maybe people think I'm raising my hand to ask a question instead? :?:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Yep. Right-hand raised vertically from bars. Positive reinforcement and all that

Edit: what Graeme_S said
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    They've already had an extra long look at my perfectly toned butt.

That's all the thanks they need
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • They've already had an extra long look at my perfectly toned butt.

That's all the thanks they need

+1 If they've been really good, I might even stand up for a bit so it wiggles.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    What is a driver who waits? I've not come across that concept before :twisted:

Seriously I put hand up in acknowledgement - nothing like right turn signal
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Find out where they live/work and send flowers.
  • High thumbs up - it's surprising how many drivers will then acknowledge your hand gesture as they pass. And when that happens, we all win.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Set up a youtube account and upload hundreds of head-cam videos featuring any driving which is even mildly courteous.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    _Brun_ wrote:

Do you respond to drivers who wrong you in a similar way? Obviously substituting the flowers for something else... :twisted:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    _Brun_ wrote:

Hmm - that's probably the beginning of a saga that ends in tears, injunctions etc :wink:
  • I likie doing it and it's "Passing on a good vibe" but sometimes it strikes me as a bit weird.

After all, you don't wave a hand in acknowledgement to a violent looking man with ugly boots outside a pub as if to say

"Thanks for not punching me!"
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I likie doing it and it's "Passing on a good vibe" but sometimes it strikes me as a bit weird.

After all, you don't wave a hand in acknowledgement to a violent looking man with ugly boots outside a pub as if to say

But you'd thank someone who waited to let you through a doorway wouldn't you? (On foot obviously, not car vs bike :wink)
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I likie doing it and it's "Passing on a good vibe" but sometimes it strikes me as a bit weird.

Ooooo, hark at you Mr Fashion Police.

Nah, I don't see it that way. Its just positive reinforcement. Also, it gives my self-righteousness a bit more credence when I'm wronged.
  • I likie doing it and it's "Passing on a good vibe" but sometimes it strikes me as a bit weird.

Perhaps you have just had a revelation that you don't, after all, regard all drivers as inherently violent people toying with the idea of injuring you.

That's good, btw.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • notsoblue wrote:

Ooooo, hark at you Mr Fashion Police.

Nah, I don't see it that way. Its just positive reinforcement. Also, it gives my self-righteousness a bit more credence when I'm wronged.

If I see someone with ugly boots outside a pub I won't go in.
  • Graeme_S wrote:
    I'll often raise my hand straight up in the air to say thanks to a driver behind me. Similar to the way a car driver would raise their left hand up towards the rear view mirror to thank the driver behind.

Tend to assume it would be a fairly universal sign representing thanks, as it's used by car drivers. Maybe people think I'm raising my hand to ask a question instead? :?:

That's what I thought, and would often do that for people who waited for a safe point to pass me on a busy or narrow road, but a neighbour pointed out that my 'thank you wave' could be interpreted as an aggressive gesture (maybe it was the way I did it?) . I now give a thumbs up, which would seem to be difficult to misinterpret - and my thumb's not big enough to look like I'm giving them 'the finger'!
  • Greg66 wrote:

Perhaps you have just had a revelation that you don't, after all, regard all drivers as inherently violent people toying with the idea of injuring you.

That's good, btw.

Well, no, because that's not my belief

Best not to equate the two then.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • TLDNMCL
    TLDNMCL Posts: 2,779
    Hand straight up in the air from me too, a turn of the head and a nod if it's safe enough to do so.

For an added treat, :wink: once past the obstruction I sometimes make it obvious that I'm inviting them to pass - that usually brings a safe, wide overtake and a return acknowledgement.
    Mac
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    edited December 2010
    millimole wrote:
    That's what I thought, and would often do that for people who waited for a safe point to pass me on a busy or narrow road, but a neighbour pointed out that my 'thank you wave' could be interpreted as an aggressive gesture (maybe it was the way I did it?) . I now give a thumbs up, which would seem to be difficult to misinterpret - and my thumb's not big enough to look like I'm giving them 'the finger'!

If you're worried that a vertical, open hand gesture can be misintrepreted as a shaking fist, wanker sign or whatever, you might as well worry that your thumbs up can be misconstrued as giving someone the llittle finger. Usually the context means that a thank you gesture is not too confusing for a fellow road user.
  • I've pulled alongside drivers at the lights and waved a thanks but sometimes I think it baffles them.
  • TLDNMCL wrote:
    Hand straight up in the air from me too, a turn of the head and a nod if it's safe enough to do so.

For an added treat, :wink: once past the obstruction I sometimes make it obvious that I'm inviting them to pass - that usually brings a safe, wide overtake and a return acknowledgement.

I'm old enough to remember having to do an 'overtake me' hand signal in my driving test :o yet most drivers nowadays seem to understand it coming from a cyclist. Generally well appreciated.