Is riding in the cold any good for you?

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Well,

Quick thought:

Is there a minimum temp that you should perform exercise in?

For what it is worth, -6 is starting to get a bit too cold - sweaty when I get to work, but cool down very quickly when stopped/locking bike up and so on....

Thoughts?

Comments

• Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I'm sure I read somewhere once that doing heavy exercise in low temperatures is bad for your respiratory system cos heavy breaths of cold air being sucked into your hot lungs shocks your system and it somehow tries to over compensate... something like that anyway, apparently it can be 'dangerous' for those who suffer with asthma. Maybe someone with a bit of medical knowledge will be able to tell me that this is BS? :lol:
    FCN 2 to 8
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I don't think so although I do limit the range i'll travel when it's this cold, so if it came to it I could run, walk, crawl home. Wouldn't fancy a 20-25 mile walk.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Dehydration. I think people tend to drink less when it's cold, so there's more of a threat - I'm guilty of this :)

edit - I didn't really read the question properly I think...

I can't imagine it's good for you when your feet/fingers go numb and start tingling ;)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,404
    Mr Plum wrote:
    I'm sure I read somewhere once that doing heavy exercise in low temperatures is bad for your respiratory system cos heavy breaths of cold air being sucked into your hot lungs shocks your system and it somehow tries to over compensate... something like that anyway, apparently it can be 'dangerous' for those who suffer with asthma. Maybe someone with a bit of medical knowledge will be able to tell me that this is BS? :lol:

Well, cold air is certainly a trigger for attacks. Depends how badly one suffers from asthma as to how dangerous that might be. A buff or facemask normally overcomes that problem though, although they can be a world of snot, dribble and condensation.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Generally you'll burn more calories exercising in the cold, I read somewhere that it was about 5% more.

I think it was on my copy of the internet, so it must be true.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Mr Plum wrote:
    apparently it can be 'dangerous' for those who suffer with asthma. Maybe someone with a bit of medical knowledge will be able to tell me that this is BS? :lol:

I'm definitely more wheezy during a cold weather ride.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • If you have to ride in the cold, always remember to MTFU first. I've always found this helps. :D
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Blah blah blah - sweaty when I get to work - blah blah blah

Try venting before you get sweaty so you don't freeze when stationary.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    If you are perfectly healthy, then not an issue, wear the right stuff.

The only thing I've noticed, is the cold is cracking up my skin under my eyes (the thin delicate stuff) - even having to use moisturiser...oh heck........ (oh and I wear cycling specs)......
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    Judging by my hacking cough and the prodigious quantity of snot bubbling around...

Probably not.
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • robz400
    robz400 Posts: 160
    Maybe but the confused looks you get from drivers when sat at the lights on a freezing Sunday afternoon more than makes up for it :-)
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    fossyant wrote:
    If you are perfectly healthy, then not an issue, wear the right stuff.

The only thing I've noticed, is the cold is cracking up my skin under my eyes (the thin delicate stuff) - even having to use moisturiser...oh heck........ (oh and I wear cycling specs)......

I get the same and I always figured this was because my eyes water more when its cold and the salty residue it leaves on the skin under the eyes dries it out.

If my hands and feet are warm, its dry, theres no black ice, and I've had a good 20 minutes of cycling at pace to get warmed up, then I love cycling in the winter.... :)
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Moderate – High Intensity Exercise

During Moderate – high intensity exercises such as running or cycling there is little concern for core temperature due to the heat generated through the exercise. It is only when the air temperature reaches -10 oC that a loss of performance will become a factor.

Link

At -10C my snots and tears start to freeze.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    It's not good if you come off on black ice

Frankly, I'm scared sh17less riding on untreated roads when it's cold, for fear of having another near-fractured-hip experience :(

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • I've not noticed any Ill effects other than dry lips. My wife bought me some insanely expensive lip balm stuff endorsed by American Football or something. Those guys play in extremely low temps. There are plenty of other sports played at very low temps so the MTFU advice is probably the best.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pshore
    pshore Posts: 61
    gtvlusso wrote:

Hell yeah. When you are the only one left in the office who is cycling still cycling in, you can crown yourself as the winner of MTFU. It make's SCR seem like childs play.
  • pshore wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Hell yeah. When you are the only one left in the office who is cycling still cycling in, you can crown yourself as the winner of MTFU. It make's SCR seem like childs play.

yey, I hereby crown myself as winner of MTFU. on at least 2 occasions in the last 2 weeks I've been the only cyclist cycling to work. yippeee. kinda reminds me that while I'm having a tough time cycling it's still worth it :lol:
  • pshore
    pshore Posts: 61
    I am crowning my self winner of MTFU for those who commute into the city rather than across it. I don't count a 10min jaunt across town as an entry for MTFU.

Still, I have paid for my efforts, 2 days off sick, going back in on the motorbike today then back to the cycle the next.

[BA Baracus voice on] I pity those fools who say they cannot get to work any other way than by car. My response is that you can walk the 7 miles home. MTFU. We did not win two world wars and conquer everest and the pole with today's 'man' attitude.
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    Surely it's just bloody-mindedness, riding when the mercury is lower than minus a couple? :shock:

MTB in the snow is fine, I find and is actually quite a laugh, plus I generate more heat when working harder at (comparitevely) lower speeds.

I work 7/7, 12hr shifts, so the thought of my 40min/12 mile commute on dark, salty, icy,
    sh!tty roads at 06.00hrs leaves me cold (pun intended).

Call me a fair-weather cyclist if you like, but will be getting my heart rate up via other methods until the temps get to the right side of zero!
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • prb007
    Pedro Delgado 1988

Pedro%2BDelgado%2BGiro%2B1988.jpg
  • prb007
    or maybe I should MTFU, like this girl ... hardcore or what?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUREhsg1 ... _embedded#!